P05-Time Management for Linguists
This 180-minute workshop will show you that for freelancers, project management just means “organizing your workload”. This hands-on experience allows you to learn simple techniques that make the process of organizing your work a FUN activity instead of a tedious chore.
Big projects may be your wish in terms of income, but they can become overwhelming. Even small projects may be intimidating if we have too many of them and don’t know how to prioritize the work. And then there is all the other “stuff” you never have time to tackle, like improving your billing or filing systems to be more productive. Acquire easy to use tools that help you be your own nagging boss, that allow you to have a clear picture of how to run the project and how it should look once it is finished, and to estimate the time needed for completion. All this while having fun!
Professional and aspiring interpreters, translators, linguists, interculturalists, administrators, and in general, all professionals who work as freelancers.
This 180-minute hands-on workshop provides simple and fun ways to manage your projects. At the completion of the workshop you will have acquired a fail-safe method of organizing your workload, by setting up a repeatable process, learning to focus on the essential aspects of your job, and helping you acquire skills to set reasonable priorities as well as long-term goals.
Please have these with you at the start of the session:
-- List of current jobs in progress (and expected jobs if any known)
-- List of all your “important” pending items (“to-do” list)
-- A “wish” list (things you would “like” to do in 2012)
-- Large Bulletin Board or usable wall
-- Push pins and/or scotch tape
-- A “one page” calendar of 2012 (or screen-size if electronic) (you can download and/or print it for free from the internet)
-- A large “month-by-month” wall or desk calendar of 2012 (or its equivalent for your screen), with sufficient space on each day’s box to write several lines of text (available from the internet)
-- Color markers or color pens (at least 3 colors)
-- White out
-- SMALL post-it notes (or equivalent), preferably in different colors
Virtual platform system requirements
Click to expand
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and payment information
Click to expand
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Claudia Brauer View feedback | View all courses
General discussions on this training