T10-Building Non-CAT glossaries
In 90 minutes, you will learn a basic methodology to search for terms, working with your own template, creating and gradually accumulating your personal glossary by client or domain; learn what, when, and how to enter and retrieve information, change and update it. You may later use it online or print it for your own translations and interpretation, or you may wish to share it with your clients.
Topics include what to include and what to exclude, how to extract terminology, preparation, selection, organization and verification, combination and sharing of glossaries.
This is one session of a 5-part bundle on the terminology used in healthcare and medicine, legal settings and finance and business, and tips on how to build better glossaries. You may take each session individually or the 5 sessions as a unit.
Note for CAT users: This session does NOT cover the technical and mechanical aspects of glossaries using CAT tools. It may, however, prove useful to compile terms to use later with your CAT tools.
This content was created by Claudia Brauer.
Here is some feedback from others on these course's trainer:
"Claudia has a clear, practical, "natural" way of organizing and exposing a subject. She lets you feel at ease even with complex subjects and, in addition to the theoretical information, gives a lot of practical examples and materials/tools to use. This make her webinars not just very informative, but also immediately useful. Bravo!"
"Well designed and interesting course. Also the handouts and the vast materials sent after the webinar are very interesting and complete. As usual Claudia shows full commitment to the subjects and to the attendees. Very serious and professional."
- Learn to how to create a glossary, what to include and what to exclude
- Learn the basics of terminology research tools
- Learn to make decisions about the content of the terms you will use
Sufficient command of English to understand the session
Suggested you have taken T09-Chasing terms online
PREPARATION materials will be shared BEFORE each session, and HANDS-ON exercises will be suggested to be completed AFTER each session. The student is expected to be fully engaged in the session with ACTIVE listening, individual thinking and processing of information, as well as hands-on note-taking and interactive activities. This is a fast-pace session with an upbeat and lively mood, that requires full engagement on the part of the participant.
Click to expand
How to Create a Glossary
Formatting a Glossary
Content-What to Include
Content-What to Exclude
ALSO, GREAT RESOURCES AND TOOLS FOR FURTHER STUDY AND REFERENCE.
Virtual platform system requirements (click here to expand)
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and payment information (click here to expand)
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
Participation fee includes:
• access to webinar session.
• unlimited access to the webinar recording.
• powerpoint slides to remind participants of the key points and lessons learned.
• certificates of attendance.
If I register will I be charged automatically?
No. Registering for the course means that you expressed interest in the training only. ProZ.com training session vacancies are limited, and minimum attendee confirmation is required in order for training sessions to be conducted, so be sure to book your seat as soon as possible.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Claudia Brauer View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course