English to Portuguese - Rates: 0.04 - 0.08 EUR per word / 20 - 35 EUR per hour
Sample translations submitted: 2
Portuguese to English: Brazilian-Portuguese Spelling Agreement
Source text - Portuguese O efeito do Acordo Ortográfico
O efeito do Acordo Ortográfico, até agora ratificado por apenas três dos oito países que falam português, só talvez "na próxima década" possa ser avaliado "com mais clareza", defendeu o professor universitário brasileiro Paulo Motta Oliveira.
Em declarações à agência Lusa, Motta Oliveira, da Universidade de São Paulo, responsável pela organização do XXI Encontro de Professores Brasileiros de Literatura Portuguesa, a decorrer entre 03 e 06 de Setembro, considerou estar-se em presença de "um desacordo", mais do que de um acordo.
Translation - English The Effects of the Brazilian-Portuguese Spelling Agreement
The effects of the recently ratified Brazilian-Portuguese Spelling Agreement will only be known for sure in the next decade, says Paulo Motta Oliveira, Brazilian language professor from the University of S. Paulo.
Paulo Motta Oliveira, head of the organization of the XXI Meeting of Brazilian Literature Professors, recently informed the Portuguese news agency, Lusa, that there is more of a disagreement than an agreement. ‘I think it is too early to talk about an agreement, it’s still a disagreement. I think that an orthographic agreement is a difficult subject.’, he said.
Portuguese to English: Legal documents
Source text - Portuguese Estatutos de Associação- Assembleia Geral
1. A Assembleia Geral é constituida por todos os associados admitidos há, pelo menos, três meses, que tenham as suas quotas em dia e não se encontrem suspensos.
2. A Assembleia Geral é dirigida pela respectiva Mesa que se compõe de um presidente, um primeiro secretário e um segundo secretário.
3. Na falta ou impedimento de qualquer dos membros da Mesa da Assembleia Geral , competirá a esta eleger os respectivos substitutos de entre os associados presentes, os quais cessarão as suas funções no termo da reunião.
Translation - English Association Regulations-The General Assembly
1. The General Assembly is made up of all admitted members, for at least three months that have their bills paid on-time and are not suspended.
2. The General Assembly is directed by its respective Board that is composed of the president, a first secretary and a second secretary.
3. In the absence or impediment of any of the members of the General Assembly Board, substitutes of the present members should be appointed for the duration of that meeting.
Years of translation experience: 16. Registered at ProZ.com: Feb 2009.
I am bilingual in American English and Portuguese (Portugal). Raised in Portugal, schooled in the US.
I got a BA in Latin American Studies, and Romance Languages- French and Spanish at Oberlin College, in Ohio, USA
I started translating in 2002 between English and Portuguese for NGO's, working in the fields of Journalism, Anthropology, Sociology, and today I have also extended my services to Real Estate Legal documents.
I work mainly between Portuguese-English, as well as English-Portuguese. I also work with Spanish- English, and French-English.
I have a academic background in French and Spanish Literature in Oberlin College, Ohio for four years, where I wrote for several bilingual newspapers and I had the opportunity to travel extensively to Latin America.
After finishing my degree, I worked in Boston as assistant journalist for different online publications, in Boston, such as the Boston Globe online, and Literary traveller.com. I also worked for a consulting company called Abt Associates, for the Communications department.
I am also a CELTA certified English teacher, certified from the University of Cambridge, London, at International House, Lisbon and I have four years of experience teaching ESL English.
Here is my resume with some sample of my writing.
Further references and sample writing are available upon request.
Keywords: Portuguese, English, Spanish, French, Italian, NGO, Real Estate, contract, social sciences, journalism, linguistics, education