ATIA certified translator from Dutch to English (1998).
I was born in the Netherlands but moved to Venezuela when I was 7. I Attended an English elementary school there, learned Spanish, and that was the beginning of my love for languages. Back in the Netherlands to attend High School, I took Latin and classic Greek, Dutch, French, English and German.
After two years in university I immigrated to Canada and eventually completed my education here with degrees in psychology and family studies and a minor in legal studies. My interest in law, especially family law, dates from that time. After I became a proz.com member I attended a large number of webinars on various aspects of legal translation.
Since 1996 I have worked with translation agencies and direct clients in Canada, the US, the UK and Europe on a variety of documents. What's important to me is capturing not only the meaning but also the tone and intent of a text, knowing when to stay close to the text and when to translate more freely.
Some examples of documents I have translated:
- Research publications (education, healthcare, humanities, social sciences)
- Legal (contracts, court rulings, employment/labor agreements
- Medical (journal articles, documentation for research and clinical trials)
- Business (annual reports, employee-guidebooks, facility management manuals)
- Immigration and asylum applications and appeals
- Personal documents (diplomas, course outlines, certificates, CVs)
- 3 years as managing editor, Canadian Medical Education Journal
- Editing texts for publication (research, business, marketing, tourism)
- Editing texts for Translators Without Borders
- Editing/adapting ESL and variations of English
Co-author: Carole-Lynne LeNavenec & Tina Vonhof: One Day at a Time (Auburn House 1996)
Translator: Kris Verburgh: The Longevity Code (The Experiment, 2018)
B.A. Psychology, Calgary (1987)
M.Sc. Family Studies, Guelph (1991)
Have a project? Please contact me for rates and resumé but note that I do not:
- work with CAT tools
- post-edit machine translations