Piera Sarasini, BA MCIL CL
Italian-English/English-Italian Translation Work
Twenty years' experience as freelance Italian>English (US/UK), English>Italian translator: medical (clinical trials) general, financial and legal, academic and artistic documents. Certified to translate in both language combinations.
PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR MEMBERSHIPS:
MIL - Professional Membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists, London, http://www.iol.org.uk/
RATES: € 0.08+ per new word, €0.04 50-75% match, €0.02 repetitions and 1-49% matches
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
Seven years of experience as a lecturer in anthropology, ethnomusicology and cultural studies at British and Irish universities and colleges (Queen’s University, Belfast; National University of Ireland, Maynooth; Dublin Business School). Twenty years' experience in the fields of translation into and from, and language training in, Italian. Designed and delivered a range of third level education, in-company and adult education courses at all levels of the language. Native-level English. UK-based first class third-level education.
MOST RECENT REGULAR TRANSLATION CONTRACTS:
2006 to present: SciTech, Milan, Italy, http://www.scitech.it (Ita>Eng and Eng>Ita medial and pharmaceutical)
2006 to present: Whirlpool Ireland, www.whirlpool.ie (Ita>Eng; Eng>Ita, legal and business)
January 2007 to present: Fideuram Assets Management, www.fideuram.ie (Ita>Eng; Eng>Ita, financial).
2009 to present: TopTrans, Israel, http://toptrans.net/ (Ita>Eng, medical and pharmaceutical)
And many more. Reference available on request.
Jan 2002 to present LANGUAGES UNLIMITED, Dublin, Ireland www.languagesunlimited.ie
Ita>Eng, Eng> Ita Translator and Italian Language Tutor
• Designed and taught EU Italian Course Levels 1-5 for EU Food and Veterinary Office (FVO), Grange, Ireland; various translations, especially for Kepak Ireland
• Introduced the University of Perugia’s CELI Italian as a Second Language examinations to Ireland as a certified examiner
• Translated legal and business documents (Italian-English, English-Italian)
May 2002 to present SANDFORD LANGUAGE INSTITUTE, Dublin, Ireland, www.sandfordlanguages.ie
Italian Language Tutor and Ita>Eng, Eng> Ita Translator
• Taught Italian evening and in-company classes at all levels of competence in the language, from beginner to advanced. Devoted hours to tutoring students in reading, writing and communication skills in the language. Specialised in teaching business Italian to personnel of financial institutions operating in the Italian market
Sept 2007 to present LANGUAGEWISE, Dublin, Ireland www.languagewise.com
Italian Language Tutor and Ita>Eng, Eng> Ita Translator
• Designed and taught evening Italian Course Levels 1-5
May 2000 to present BEATRICE INTERPRETING SERVICES, Dublin, Ireland, http://beatricestranslations.com/
Free-lance translation and interpreting work (tourism and medical)
2004-2005 THALIA MULTIMEDIA SERVICES http://www.thaliaservices.it/uk/
Translations of film and TV series scripts and synopses from Italian to English for general release in the US market; subtitles into English for the Italian film “Anche libero va bene” by Kim Rossi Stewart
June 1998 – 2004 ICTM Study Group, Fondazione Levi, Venice, Italy, http://www.provincia.venezia.it/levi/ma/ma_stg/ma_stg.htm
Assistant Editor, translator, interpreter
• translated and edited academic articles for on-line journal “Music & Anthropology”, (samples of which can be found at
• interpreted for ICTM (United Nations’ International Council of Traditional Music) sessions in Venice
Sept 1999 – June 2002QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY, BELFAST, Northern Ireland, www.qub.ac.uk
• Taught years 2 and 3 students in Italian prose translation, grammar and conversation as Italian Language Assistant in the School of Modern Languages;
• Occasional technical consequent interpreting (Italian-English) for Ford, Belfast and other companies on behalf of Queen’s
Sept 1999 – June 2000 BELFAST INSTITUTE OF FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION, BELFAST, www.belfastinstitute.ac.uk
Italian Language Instructor (evening adult education)
1993 to 2004 LANGUAGE STUDIO, Kirkcaldy, Scotland, UK
English-Italian, Italian-English Translator
• Translated a number of technical, legal, tourism-related, IT and general documents
Jan 2006 to May 2007 DUBLIN BUSINESS SCHOOL www.dbs.edu
• Designed and conveyed 3 courses: History of Anthropology, Visual Culture and Music and Popular Culture for both daytime and evening courses; evaluated exams and continuous assessment work
Jan 2001 – June 2005 NUI MAYNOOTH www.may.ie
• Course conveyor of level 3 modules: “Ethnomusicology” and “Visual Anthropology” (duties as in previous position)
Sept 1999 – May 2002 QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY, BELFAST www.qub.ac.uk
• Temporary Lecturer (Ethnomusicology): Levels 1-3, lectured in Ethnomusicology and Music, Ethnicity and Identity
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND PUBLICATIONS:
• Assistant Editor of Music & Anthropology, on-line disciplinary journal, http://www.levi.provincia.venezia.it/ma/index.htm
• Assistant Editor of volume Music and Gender in the Mediterranean, Tullia Magrini (ed.), 2003, Chicago University Press, Ethnomusicology Series.
• Translator of “Antonio Gramsci”, ed. James Martin, Routledge 2002.
• Author of “Chanting Qasa’id (Or: How the Spirited Self Meets The Beloved Other in Muridism”), published in the European Journal of Ethnomusicology, 8, 2001.
Italian, English, Spanish (intermediate), French (spoken: basic; reading and writing: good), Latin, Ancient Greek.
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, programming in HTML, Agresso (financial package), SPSS, Adobe, Photo Editor, various DTP applications, Wordfast, scanning, email, etc.
1999 QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY, BELFAST, Northern Ireland, UK,
• BA in Social Anthropology/Ethnomusicology, First Class Honours
1996 TELFORD COLLEGE, EDINBURGH, Scotland, UK
• SPACE Dip (European Advanced Diploma for Secretaries and Personal Assistants in the European Union), Pass for Outstanding Performance
1994 INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTS, London, UK
• IoL Dip TRANS (Post Graduate Diploma in Translation, English-Italian)
• Mr Renaud Puyou, Language Agency Director, Languages Unlimited, [email protected]
• Ms Liz Hannon, School Director, Languagewise, 3 Fitzwilliam St, [email protected]
• Ms Rita McCann, Programme Officer, Ireland Literature Exchange, http://www.irelandliterature.com, email [email protected]