Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
Wellcome to my profile. My name is Dora Saenger da Cruz, I am a qualified native speaker translator of Portuguese since 1997, with a PhD in Translation Studies.
I pride myself on punctuality, honesty reliability and excellent communication, as well as a very dedicated and painstaking approach to translating and text. Both my studies and professional work (I am also a lecturer at the Institute of Translation Studies of the University of Vienna) have provided me with an excellent foundation on which to build a translation career: with emphasis on thorough research, imagination and of course excellent Portuguese. I work for various clients, agencies and voluntary organisations.
Please find below some examples on my experience as a translator:
Freelance Translator / Interpreter for Portuguese
• Experience in the field of translation (German, English and Spanish into Portuguese):
Medicine, Medical Technology, Economics, Business and Marketing, as well as general issues, personal documents, websites and internet, (e.g.: project proposals; contracts; medical descriptions; medical equipment; decoration books for IKEA Portugal; books for kids; etc.)
• Experience in the field of conference interpreting (English and Spanish into Portuguese):
Continental; Annual Meeting of ArtWorks; some meetings between Portuguese and Austrian companies; etc.
September 2001 - June 2013:
Lecturer for Translations studies at the Centre of Translation Sciences – University of Vienna
• Within the field of the Degree in Translation/Interpreting, the subjects I was responsible of were:
- Translation from German into Portuguese, levels 1 and 2 – themes are divided into 4 cycles to be worked within 2 years (Natural Sciences, Biology, Technology and Human Sciences);
- Technical translation from German into Portuguese – various subjects from instructions manuals to technical specifications, Medical Technology, etc;
- Translation on Literature – a general approach to Portuguese Literature and its translation into German.
• Erasmus Coordinator for the exchange of students between Portuguese universities and the Centre of Translation Sciences of the University of Vienna
Teacher of German and Portuguese for Foreigners at various schools in Portugal and since 2001 in Austria
In accordance with the Portuguese school guidelines, I taught various levels of German in two Secondary Schools, and Portuguese to foreigners at a Language School. I keep on doing this type of work in Vienna as well.
06/2001 – 12/2002
Translator / Interpreter
Permanent Delegation of Portugal to the OSCE, Vienna
Within the scope of the Portuguese Chairmanship of the Organisation, my main duties were the translation of rent contracts, social insurance documents and personal documents especially from German into Portuguese, but also the translation from English into Portuguese and vice-versa of official OSCE papers (draft decisions, decisions, agendas, résumé of meetings, etc.): Besides that, I did interpreting work on behalf of the diplomatic staff.