https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/143483-how_to_count_the_number_of_entries_sorted_or_filtered_in_an_excel_sheet.html

How to count the number of entries sorted or filtered in an Excel sheet
Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2009

In connection with my various translations of English rose books into German, I have compiled a very comprehensice data base of rose names and synonyms, currently 25,000 entries. Printing out would result in 500 pages.
Filtering the column "breeder" shows a drop down menue of breeders in alphabetical order.

Can I sort or filter by breeder in decreasing order of roses introduced (some breeders have introduced 1000 or even more roses)?
I need this to select tho most impor
... See more
In connection with my various translations of English rose books into German, I have compiled a very comprehensice data base of rose names and synonyms, currently 25,000 entries. Printing out would result in 500 pages.
Filtering the column "breeder" shows a drop down menue of breeders in alphabetical order.

Can I sort or filter by breeder in decreasing order of roses introduced (some breeders have introduced 1000 or even more roses)?
I need this to select tho most important breeders by number of introductions.

Any help will be most welcome.
Klaus
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Is there a standalone "number of roses" column? Aug 23, 2009

I think you don't need any filter. A simple Z-A order will do it.

If I got it right, you should try this:

- Cut the "number of roses" column and paste it at the right far side of the sheet (it must be the last column on the right)

- Click on the last cell of the "number of roses" (let's say cell M24256), drag the mouse towards left and than to the top to select the whole sheet.

- Click on the Z-A button in the main menu. You should see the bree
... See more
I think you don't need any filter. A simple Z-A order will do it.

If I got it right, you should try this:

- Cut the "number of roses" column and paste it at the right far side of the sheet (it must be the last column on the right)

- Click on the last cell of the "number of roses" (let's say cell M24256), drag the mouse towards left and than to the top to select the whole sheet.

- Click on the Z-A button in the main menu. You should see the breeders by number of introduction.

Hope this helps
Gianni

PS (Always make copy of the file!)

[Edited at 2009-08-23 08:51 GMT]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Subtotals Aug 23, 2009

Well, I suppose you do not have a "number of roses introduced" column. In that case you can use the Subtotals function in Excel.

A short how-to:
http://www.ehow.com/how_9702_subtotals-totals-excel.html

... See more
Well, I suppose you do not have a "number of roses introduced" column. In that case you can use the Subtotals function in Excel.

A short how-to:
http://www.ehow.com/how_9702_subtotals-totals-excel.html

And a longer one with screenshots:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1041751.html

Subtotals will not destroy your database, but make a backup copy anyway!
Collapse

Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Gianni and Hynek Aug 24, 2009

Thank you for your suggestions.
Indeed, I do not have "number of roses introduced" column in my Excel sheet. I tried the "subtotal" solution, but it did not work.
What I have is one column with rose names and one column with the breeder name to each rose.Most breeders have introduced more than one rose, so their name appears again and again. When sorting by breeder, I want to count the number of roses introduced by that breeder that is how often this breederĀ“s name appears in the br
... See more
Thank you for your suggestions.
Indeed, I do not have "number of roses introduced" column in my Excel sheet. I tried the "subtotal" solution, but it did not work.
What I have is one column with rose names and one column with the breeder name to each rose.Most breeders have introduced more than one rose, so their name appears again and again. When sorting by breeder, I want to count the number of roses introduced by that breeder that is how often this breederĀ“s name appears in the breeder column.
What I could do is copying this section of my Excel sheet into a blank Excel sheet and check the number of roses listed for that breeder.
There are 800 to 1000 breeders in my data base, therefore I was looking for a more elegant, automatic approach.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Best regards
Klaus
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count the number of entries sorted or filtered in an Excel sheet

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »