Before breaking into the translation industry, I spent more than 20 years as a high school teacher of English, did 3 years of freelance work as a consultant (for clients such as Microsoft) on communication and e-learning, worked as a full-time consultant for a software company specializing in e-learning for businesses, plus spent 10 years as a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety treatment. In 2015 I decided to change my career path back to my first love, languages. I have built up my client list working as a freelance translator since 2015, and I also work with agencies on a regular basis.
I follow industry standards and only translate into my native language. I routinely perform extensive quality checks including terminology research and several stages of language and grammar checks. To ensure I stay specialized, I keep myself up-to-date on terminology and development in my areas and my source and target languages. For these reasons, I enjoy long-term partnerships with translation agencies and end clients. I am dedicated to every project and I do what it takes to produce only the best end product.
M.A. and B.A. in English and American language, translation, literature and culture,
University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
1 year of studies in American literature, culture,
and the teaching of English as a second language,
University of Kansas, U.S.A.
1 year of psychology studies,
University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
3 years of psychotherapy studies and training,
Danish NLP Institute, Denmark.
• Psychology / Psychometric Tests
• Training / Education / E-learning
• Market research / Surveys
• Human resources
• IT / Software
• Travel / tourism
• Advertising / Marketing
• Film / TV (Subtitling)
Psychology / Psychometric Tests:
• Have translated, proofread and reviewed psychometric tests for Comms Multilingual. (83,000+ words)
• Have evaluated test translations done by other translators within the field of psychometrics for Comms Multilingual.
• Have translated a sleep & relaxation app for new mothers and their babies for Kitefaster.
• Worked as a psychotherapist specializing in anxiety treatment for nine years.
• Have published a Danish self-help book on anxiety.
• Completed a year of psychology studies at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
• Completed three years of studies and training as a psychotherapist and coach at the Danish NLP Institute, Denmark.
Training / Education / E-learning:
• Have completed a review report on the quality of the translation of an e-learning course for Mayflower Language Services.
• Have verified the translation of an OECD survey about the quality of day care centers.
• Have translated e-learning content for Masco.
• Have translated college diploma for Wordminds.
• Spent 20 years as a high school teacher of English. Was head of the English department and part of the management team.
• Have written a high school English textbook.
• Did 3 years of freelance work as a consultant (for clients such as Microsoft) on communication and e-learning.
• Worked as a full-time consultant for a software company specializing in e-learning solutions for businesses.
Market research / Surveys:
• Have translated an EU survey for the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights. (13,500 words)
• Have verified the translation of an OECD survey about the quality of day care centers. (20,000 words)
• Have verified the translation of numerous Facebook surveys.
• Have verified the translation of 2 Pew Research surveys. (12,000 words)
• Have translated an HR app for line managers for Speaklike.
• Have translated a 360-degree feedback survey for Comms Multilingual.
• Have reviewed documentation and PR material for an HR assessment tool for Comms Multilingual.
IT / Software:
• Have translated online help (user assistance documentation) for Microsoft.
• Have translated online help (user assistance documentation) for Cisco.
Travel / Tourism:
• Am the Danish translator for the holiday booking site Pitchup.com. (165,000+ words)
• Have translated web content about Chinese festivals for a Chinese province.
• Have proofread airport signs for Prima Vista.
Film / TV (Subtitling):
• Perform subtitle quality evaluations for Netflix (the so-called “Hermes Test”). I.e. I evaluate the quality of the test translations done by other translators aspiring to become translators of Netflix content.
• Have translated/proofread over 200 TV episodes/feature films for Deluxe Entertainment, Sfera Studios, and Visual Data Media.
The material has primarily been from Netflix, but also from Warner Bros., Disney, Sony, Fox, and PBS.
Types of shows: Comedy, drama, crime, fantasy, thrillers, horror, documentaries, action, historical, musicals.
Advertising / Marketing:
• Have translated advertising copy for fruit juice for Summit Works.
• Have translated marketing materials for the sleep app mentioned above for Kitefaster.
• Have translated retail press release and newsletter for Diction.
• Have translated web content for the movie streaming website Pickaflick.
• Have proofread web content for Emoji Company.
• As a psychotherapist, I wrote numerous newsletters and promotion material for my own self-help book, e-books and online courses.
Cosmetics / Beauty:
• Have translated application instructions for eyelash booster for Alpha Translation Service.
• Have translated 3 novels for HarperCollins. (236,000 words)
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
SOFTWARE / CAT TOOLS:
Trados Studio 2017 and 2015 Freelance
Multiterm 2017 and 2015
MemoQ Translator Pro
Sfera subtitling platform
American Translators Association (ATA)
With each freelance project I undertake, I guarantee high quality work delivered on or before deadline and prompt response to your phone calls, emails, and Skype messages.