https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/32261-only_1_usb_port_works_at_a_time.html

Only 1 USB port works at a time
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:23
Spanish
+ ...
May 11, 2005

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my USB ports. I have 2 USB ports, one for the mouse and the second one for another device, printer, scanner, etc.

I don't have any problem when the printer is connected; the problem is when I connect my mp3 players to the computer.

I'd never had any problems with it until a few days ago. When I plug the hard-drive mp3 player, the mouse light starts to blink until it turns off completely and then it turns on again. But eve
... See more
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my USB ports. I have 2 USB ports, one for the mouse and the second one for another device, printer, scanner, etc.

I don't have any problem when the printer is connected; the problem is when I connect my mp3 players to the computer.

I'd never had any problems with it until a few days ago. When I plug the hard-drive mp3 player, the mouse light starts to blink until it turns off completely and then it turns on again. But eventually the computer reads the unit as a new driver (it's a drag-and-drop mp3 palyer). When I try to play songs or drag them from the computer, the mouse stops working until the songs stops or the transfer is complete.

I've a flash player as well the problem with the mouse is basically the same, except that the computer doesn't even read it as a new driver. In both cases sometimes a windows pops up, it says 'One of the devices is not working properly, click here for more information' or something like that and then the mouse dies, but it's kinda hard to click on something since the mouse is not working.

I've used both players in other computers and there's been no problems. The device manager doesn't register any problem either.

I use Windows XP in my computer and I'm afraid this may be a physical problem.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Cali
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 04:23
German
+ ...
Energy-related? May 12, 2005

The problem might be that both ports share one energy source (USB provides not only data connectivity, but also electricity to devices, when necessary). And the load of both devices at once might be too much.

Buying an active USB hub should remedy this problem (whereby "active" means it comes with its own power supply). They're not terribly expensive. Oh, but you should make sure you get a USB 2.0 hub, not a USB 1.1 (compatible, but much slower, which will be a pain with copying MP
... See more
The problem might be that both ports share one energy source (USB provides not only data connectivity, but also electricity to devices, when necessary). And the load of both devices at once might be too much.

Buying an active USB hub should remedy this problem (whereby "active" means it comes with its own power supply). They're not terribly expensive. Oh, but you should make sure you get a USB 2.0 hub, not a USB 1.1 (compatible, but much slower, which will be a pain with copying MP3s.)

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 20:23
English
Swap ports May 13, 2005

The previous suggestion may help ... USB ports can only handle 500mA, and the player may pull more than that. Plug the player into an AC adapter so it has its own power and see what happens.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:23
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jun 9, 2005

Thanks to both of you, you were absolutely right.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only 1 USB port works at a time

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »