https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/225698-unable_to_view_folders_want_to_add_sdlxliff_files_to_a_project.html

Unable to view folders & want to add sdlxliff files to a project
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 26, 2012

Hello friends,

I created a project and added a folder to it. The folder contained several sub-folders. But I was unable to view any of the folders, sub-folders, or the files containing them in the Files view!! I was not sure how to open them in the Editor view. So, as dumb as it may sound, I deleted the project, created a new one and added the files as files rather than folders. So, now I can see them in the Files view. But I don't think this is the right thing to do.

... See more
Hello friends,

I created a project and added a folder to it. The folder contained several sub-folders. But I was unable to view any of the folders, sub-folders, or the files containing them in the Files view!! I was not sure how to open them in the Editor view. So, as dumb as it may sound, I deleted the project, created a new one and added the files as files rather than folders. So, now I can see them in the Files view. But I don't think this is the right thing to do.

My second question is, I have a group of sdlxliff files carrying the same name that were previously translated. Can I add them to the project and then run that function corresponding to Translate to Fuzzy so that the new files would be translated ?

TIA
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:49
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Do it all inside Studio May 26, 2012

If I understand right, you're using Windows Explorer to add folders to a Studio project?

You have to do everything inside Studio so that it will process new files itself, convert them to sdlxliff, etc.

So, create a project in Studio, adding your source file(s) and TM.
- Then go to the project view (bottom left hand corner of the home screen) and double click on your new project.
-Go to files (below projects) and click on your source language (top, left ha
... See more
If I understand right, you're using Windows Explorer to add folders to a Studio project?

You have to do everything inside Studio so that it will process new files itself, convert them to sdlxliff, etc.

So, create a project in Studio, adding your source file(s) and TM.
- Then go to the project view (bottom left hand corner of the home screen) and double click on your new project.
-Go to files (below projects) and click on your source language (top, left hand side). This is where you can add any new source files that you need translated. You can't add folders, only files.
- Convert them to sdlxliff format (right click on the file name, batch tasks, prepare without project TM).
- Go to the target language view and double click on the file to open it in the Editor window and translate it.

Second question. I think the best thing would be to import your translated sdlxliff file into your TM (do it through Translation Memories, bottom left) before you start to create the project at all.
Then, when you add your source files to your new project, the batch task "prepare without project TM" will automatically pre-translate the file against the TM.

If you've already created your project, then go to your target language list of files, right click on one and then go to Batch task>pre-translate files.

HTH
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how do I import an sdlxliff into a TM May 26, 2012

Emma, you've been a great help so far.

My question at this point is, how do I import all those sdlliff files (each with a separate project actually) into a single TM, which I can then use to pre-translate my new project? I clicked the Translation Memory View as you indicated, but I am not sure what to do exactly to import my translated sdlxliff file into the TM?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:49
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to import an sdlxliff into a TM May 26, 2012

Noha Kamal, PhD. wrote:

I clicked the Translation Memory View as you indicated, but I am not sure what to do exactly to import my translated sdlxliff file into the TM?

- Open your TM in the Translation Memory view
- Import your sdlxliff

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't thank you enough May 26, 2012

You are an angel , Emma. I can't thank you enough. I guess we do need sometime till we get used even to the simplest tasks in Studio, heheh. Have a lovely day)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to view folders & want to add sdlxliff files to a project

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »