https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/250954-studio_2011_license_usage.html

Studio 2011 license usage
Thread poster: Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 02:04
Member (2008)
English
Jun 14, 2013

Hello,

we have upgraded our Studio 2009 licenses to Studio 2011 licenses. We now have a license for two concurrent users, as seen in the SDL Licensing Server Toolkit. The Toolkit is installed on a separate server, so two people can use SDL Studio 2011.

On to the problem: Studio 2011 crashed, and one of our users had to use 'End task' in the windows Task manager. This worked, but the license never got returned to the pool. So now we have one license always in use accordi
... See more
Hello,

we have upgraded our Studio 2009 licenses to Studio 2011 licenses. We now have a license for two concurrent users, as seen in the SDL Licensing Server Toolkit. The Toolkit is installed on a separate server, so two people can use SDL Studio 2011.

On to the problem: Studio 2011 crashed, and one of our users had to use 'End task' in the windows Task manager. This worked, but the license never got returned to the pool. So now we have one license always in use according to the License Toolkit.

Is there an easy way to have Studio 2011 return the license? Or to have a force update in the License Toolkit?
Will the locked license 'time out' eventually?
If our licenses get locked each time Studio acts up, we'll be running out of licenses asap

Kind regards,
Geert
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Restart license server... Jun 14, 2013

Extra Consult wrote:

On to the problem: Studio 2011 crashed, and one of our users had to use 'End task' in the windows Task manager. This worked, but the license never got returned to the pool. So now we have one license always in use according to the License Toolkit.

Is there an easy way to have Studio 2011 return the license? Or to have a force update in the License Toolkit?
Will the locked license 'time out' eventually?
If our licenses get locked each time Studio acts up, we'll be running out of licenses asap

Restart the machine acting as license server.
Not really elegant but it works...

Cheers
GG

Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
That worked Jun 14, 2013

Super, thanks for the quick fix on this!

However, it might be prudent to not install the server-side toolkit on an actual server, as I'm not in the habit of rebooting servers every time a client application crashes

Kind regards,
Geert

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Restart services.. Jun 14, 2013

Extra Consult wrote:

Super, thanks for the quick fix on this!

However, it might be prudent to not install the server-side toolkit on an actual server,

Yep, it's a good practice to use different machines as file servers, license servers etc.

as I'm not in the habit of rebooting servers every time a client application crashes

I suppose it's enough to stop/restart the Nalpeiron licensing services.
As I have separate servers, I simply reboot
I'm too lazy and I have only two users on the LAN (me and my wife), so an auxiliary server reboot is not a crucial problem.

Cheers
GG

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Service is sufficient Jun 14, 2013

Dear Geert,

Restarting a service is sufficient, we have a KB Article for that:

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4252

Some customers have setup a scheduled task to run every night, that restarts the service automatically and thus resets the license count.

We are working with our Licensing provider for a more elegant solution.
... See more
Dear Geert,

Restarting a service is sufficient, we have a KB Article for that:

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4252

Some customers have setup a scheduled task to run every night, that restarts the service automatically and thus resets the license count.

We are working with our Licensing provider for a more elegant solution. To properly see if a client is still active, you would need active server side polling to all clients to verify if the client is still active.

Cheers,
Luis
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 license usage

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »