https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/262309-problem_with_bilingual_word_docs_in_sdl_trados_2011_since_moving_to_windows_8.html

Problem with bilingual Word docs in SDL Trados 2011 since moving to Windows 8
Thread poster: Jacqueline Ball
Jacqueline Ball
Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
Member (2012)
German to English
Jan 7, 2014

I have recently had to buy a new laptop which has Windows 8. I have installed SDL Trados 2011 on the new laptop and have had no compatibility problems (I also checked in advance that SDL Trados 2011 was compatible with Windows 8) until I got work from one of my larger clients who still uses Trados 2009 and for whom I have the following workflow:

1) Client provides bilingual Word doc which I import into SDL Trados
2) I translate and export as bilingual Word doc (File/Save as ta
... See more
I have recently had to buy a new laptop which has Windows 8. I have installed SDL Trados 2011 on the new laptop and have had no compatibility problems (I also checked in advance that SDL Trados 2011 was compatible with Windows 8) until I got work from one of my larger clients who still uses Trados 2009 and for whom I have the following workflow:

1) Client provides bilingual Word doc which I import into SDL Trados
2) I translate and export as bilingual Word doc (File/Save as target)

This has worked fine on my old laptop (after sorting out a few initial teething problems on the client's end).

However, since I have moved to Windows 8, I am having ongoing issues as follows:

1) Open bilingual Word doc
2) Nothing happens. When I use 'Alt tab' to see if any other windows are open, a File Save window has appeared with the name of the file (as if I am trying to save the file in question rather than open it).
3) I click 'Cancel' on the File Save window and the Open Document dialogue box in SDL Trados appears where I enter the source and target language (as normal) and click OK.
4) SDL Trados then stops again while the file is trying to open because the File Save window has opened yet again. I cancel it. This happens twice more.
5) Finally, I get an error message: Failed to open 'name of file'. File sniffer type 'Bilingual Workbench 1.0.0.0.' failed. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

The first time this happened I shut down Trados, re-started my computer and when that didn't work I re-installed Trados, which still didn't solve the issue. I was writing a post on this forum and decided to give it one last try before posting and I was able to open the file - I didn't do anything differently as far as I'm aware.

The same client has just sent me another job and unfortunately I am having the problem again. Any help or advice very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Jacqueline Ball
Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 7, 2014

I have actually solved this problem myself by saving the bilingual Word 97 - 2003 document to a simple Word document.

I don't know why this worked, but it has resolved the issue and seems to work with other files I have tested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with bilingual Word docs in SDL Trados 2011 since moving to Windows 8

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »