https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/284690-after_upgrade_packages_do_not_properly_open_from_explorer_anymore.html

After upgrade, packages do not properly open from Explorer anymore!
Thread poster: Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 16, 2015

Hi,

me again having a nightmare after the other since I had the what it seems not so smart idea of buying an upgrade to my Studio license...

Now, in Windows Explorer (Windows 8.1) the icon that immediately recognize package files as Trados disappeared!

So, after upgrade, Windows does not recognize files as to be open by Trados, and both return and outgoing package files are with their icon in blank.

I have tried manually go ver 'Open' 'Chose pr
... See more
Hi,

me again having a nightmare after the other since I had the what it seems not so smart idea of buying an upgrade to my Studio license...

Now, in Windows Explorer (Windows 8.1) the icon that immediately recognize package files as Trados disappeared!

So, after upgrade, Windows does not recognize files as to be open by Trados, and both return and outgoing package files are with their icon in blank.

I have tried manually go ver 'Open' 'Chose program to Open', I have indicated 'Trados.exe' and now all it does, if I click in a package file is to open the Trados again (that is already open).

As usual, I could not find any help to this, pretty annoying that now I have trouble identifying packages or open them easily - now it is only possible from Trados, not from Explorer anymore...

so, summing up:

To what .exe file should I link my .sdlppx files so I have the icons and the automatic open back??

And why this have happened due to a simply upgrade??

[Edited at 2015-04-17 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still a mess Apr 16, 2015

I had an engineer from a big agency trying to help me out over Skype for about a half an hour, no way of understanding why suddenly, after a simply upgrade, both incoming and return packages are not recognizable by Windows, even if you point them to 'open with SDL Trados'. The usual gree/blue icons that after double click make the package unfolds are replaced by a general SDL icon, and all it does is to open Trados, no further action. So I have 3, 4 times Trados application (by the way, now reaa... See more
I had an engineer from a big agency trying to help me out over Skype for about a half an hour, no way of understanding why suddenly, after a simply upgrade, both incoming and return packages are not recognizable by Windows, even if you point them to 'open with SDL Trados'. The usual gree/blue icons that after double click make the package unfolds are replaced by a general SDL icon, and all it does is to open Trados, no further action. So I have 3, 4 times Trados application (by the way, now reaaaally slow since I bought Freelance version), and packages now have to be managed, opened, etc manually from inside the app. - a very bad situation if you are an organized person and like to structure folders before starting a job.

Simply annoying, disappointing, not to mention the price you pay for finding out you better stay with old limited version...

my tip: don't buy an upgrade!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After upgrade, packages do not properly open from Explorer anymore!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »