Aside from translation, I have five years' professional experience working with and among mostly mainland Chinese immigrants and residents, first as a full-time volunteer minister at a Chinese language mission in Calgary and as a consular officer at the U.S. consulate general in Shenyang, China. Since my return to the U.S., I continue to enjoy a cultural connection through media and Chinese speaking friends.
My ongoing cultural experience informs my translation and helps me detect tone and cultural context for a more accurate translation across not just very different languages but cultures as well. I have put my translation skills to use on many different projects, including:
- common official documents: adoption certificates, birth certificates, household registrations, etc.
- encyclopedic articles on Chinese history, culture, philosophy, and religion
- journal articles
- business magazine articles
- standard operating procedures
- quality assurance and service agreements for auto parts manufacturers
- interview transcriptions
- meeting agendas and programs
- and more
I now translate and offer other intercultural services through my business, Cook Intercultural Services LLC