As a university graduate of German Studies (Bachelor of Arts in Humanities), I have always prided myself on my exceptional language abilities. During my tertiary studies I had many opportunities to develop competency in translating, with the close supervision and assistance of my professors. I have worked a number of years as a freelance translator, completing texts from a variety of fields. I have also gathered much valuable experience as a proofreader, both of German>English translations and of plain English texts. I currently work as a proofreader for HarperCollins Publishers and for Capital IQ. As a university lecturer in the English Philology department at the University of Tuebingen, Germany, I taught, among other things, many translation classes at all levels. I made it the nature of these classes to select texts from sources as varied as possible, including many different genres. Only this way were my students and I able to delve deeply into the complex world of translation and to understand its intricacies.
The history of my work as a freelance translator includes texts:
- amending the Austrian Law on Integrated Supervision
- concerning the relationship between economic efficiency and the granting of human rights;
- recording the Jewish history of a German town;
- explaining the legal status and the needs of adopted children in terms of international laws;
- examining the sociocultural environment in Australia, with particular regard to Aboriginal history;
- travel guides to various German cities, categories for each city were: hotels, restaurants, bars and clubs, music, and arts;
- tourist information booklets;
- an internet homepage, advertising a company's service to assist other firms in gearing their business towards the so-called new media (the Internet);
- a number of interviews with staff from the "second chance school" in Marseilles;
- various articles and interviews for numerous clients.
My works have been published in books, leaflets, magazines, academic publications, and on the internet. Or, in the case of letters, these have been forwarded to the appropriate authorities.
In the past my pricing has depended largely upon the difficulty of the text and the time limit given. I am flexible in this regard.