I have spent 35 years in Japan, 30+ of which as a professional Japanese to English translator, catering primarily to the documentation needs of industry. I have translated the full breadth of technical documentation in fields of industry including:
• Automotive – gasoline, electric and hybrid • FA (Factory Automation or industrial automation) • OA (Office Automation) • IT (Information Technology) • Laboratory analysis/measurement/testing equipment and systems (for electronics, environment and machinery) • Medical systems and equipment • Machine tools, NC and robotics • Metering and industrial pumps • Semiconductors/ICs • Semiconductor manufacturing equipment • Electronics • Telecommunications • Graphic arts • Image processing • Prepress and printing
• Technical translation/writing in specific fields of industry
• Reorganization and précis summarization of technical materials and information for creating specific-purpose documents
• Evaluation and "bench-testing" of user/instruction manuals (hardware/software)
• Translation of business communications media – IR, company profiles, press releases. etc.
• Tourism/guide books
• Translation of articles about Japan and aspects of Japanese culture
Of particular note, I have translated the following these past two and a half years:
Automotive – Repair/maintenance manuals for a major Japanese car manufacturer
I have been translating this 5,000,000+ character and still growing project using TRADOS Studio 2011. These manuals are primarily for the engine, brakes, transmission, steering, heating/ventilation/air conditioning, and body, and include detailed technical explanations and procedures for on-board diagnostics, adjustments and maintenance procedures for all of the major engine control systems.
For more information about other projects, please see my LinkedIn profile at
A detailed CV/services brochure also is available upon request