Member since Apr '03

Working languages:
German to English
English (monolingual)

Gillian Scheibelein
25 years' technical translation, CHEMIST

Local time: 00:26 CEST (GMT+2)

Native in: English Native in English
  • PayPal accepted
  • Send message through
Feedback from
clients and colleagues

on Willingness to Work Again info
16 positive reviews
This person is a top KudoZ point holder in German to English
User message
German to English technical translations from a B.Sc. chemist that are clear and precise
Account type Freelance translator and/or interpreter, Identity Verified Verified member
Data security Created by Evelio Clavel-Rosales This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a Business member or Plus subscriber.
Affiliations This person is not affiliated with any business or Blue Board record at
Services Translation, Editing/proofreading
Specializes in:
Chemistry; Chem Sci/EngConstruction / Civil Engineering
Engineering (general)Environment & Ecology
Materials (Plastics, Ceramics, etc.)Mechanics / Mech Engineering
Petroleum Eng/SciScience (general)
Medical: PharmaceuticalsMetallurgy / Casting

KudoZ activity (PRO) PRO-level points: 3643, Questions answered: 1540, Questions asked: 71
Glossaries JillSch
Translation education Other - <font color="blue"><B>BSc. Hons. Chemistry, University of St. Andrews (Scotland)</font></B>
Experience Years of experience: 30. Registered at Jun 2002. Became a member: Apr 2003.
Credentials N/A
Memberships N/A
Software Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Acrobat (PDF files), MS Office 2010, Powerpoint, SDL TRADOS, STAR Transit
Events and training
Professional practices Gillian Scheibelein endorses's Professional Guidelines (v1.0).
CHEMISTRY inorganic, organic, analytical, physical, industrial, macromolecular (polymers/plastics) etc., organometallic, coordination
Materials science iron & steel, concrete, building materials, alloys, ceramics, composites
Chemical and process engineering Nuclear engineering Water/wastewater treatment Geology Biochemistry, biology Civil engineering Mechanical engineering
and general texts as well, of course

My main CAT tools are Transit Professional XV and Transit Professional NXT, which have full functionality - including concordance (which the "Satellite" version does not).
I also use all versions of Trados incl. 2011.

I was born and grew up in England and then went to Scotland and received a BSc Hons. in Chemistry in 1978 from St. Andrews University [minor subjects geology (2 years) and botany (1 year)]. This was followed by 2 years of research into antiforgery coatings on cheque paper at the university (no not a PhD, I earned real money!).
I have been living in Germany since 1980, and I'm married to a German PhD chemist/physicist. I started translating in 1981.

I specialise in writing scientific reports, instruction manuals, etc. in clear and precise international English, without colloquialisms, so that even non-native English speakers can read the text with ease.

Translation makes up approx. 90% of my work. The other 10% consists of analyzing documents for Chemical Abstracts - this entails reading a document, written in German or English and then writing an abstract/précis of the contents in English - and copy editing/proofreading for a chemical journal published in English (Chemistry - A European Journal). This keeps my knowledge of all fields of chemistry up to date in both languages.

Among the millions of words I have translated, I am particularly proud of
Ferrous Materials: Iron and Steel by Prof. W. Theisen and Prof. H. Berns
End of the 20th Century, published by the Doerner-Institut, Munich
This user has earned KudoZ points by helping other translators with PRO-level terms. Click point total(s) to see term translations provided.

Total pts earned: 3842
PRO-level pts: 3643

Top languages (PRO)
German to English3469
Top general fields (PRO)
Pts in 4 more flds >
Top specific fields (PRO)
Chemistry; Chem Sci/Eng533
Construction / Civil Engineering207
Mechanics / Mech Engineering151
Engineering (general)151
Medical: Pharmaceuticals136
Materials (Plastics, Ceramics, etc.)135
Metallurgy / Casting115
Pts in 54 more flds >

See all points earned >
Keywords: chemistry, geology, biology, physics, environmental, natural science, material science, metallurgy, ceramics, iron, steel, alloys, ceramics, concrete, construction materials, plastics, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, process engineering, biochemistry, oil & gas, agriculture, casting, building, building materials, chemical engineering Deutsch, English, Chemie, Geologie, Biologie, Physik, Werkstoffe, Metallurgie, Biochemie, Umwelt, Abwasser, Apparatebau, Maschinenbau, Kunstoffe, Stahl, Eisen, Erdöl, Beton, Hochbau, Tiefbau, Landwirtschaft, Giessen, Chemieanlagenbau, Anlagenbau

Profile last updated
Aug 10, 2020

More translators and interpreters: German to English   More language pairs