References, resume, and sample translation package available on request
I am a chemist and physicist and have been a professional free-lance scientific translator for 30 years. I have been translating at least 500,000 words per year on the average from Russian, French, Italian, Spanish, and German into US English. This has included millions of words from journal articles in most areas of chemistry and many areas of physics and materials science, as well as certain related areas of biology and geology; three published books (chemistry and biophysics); internal laboratory reports on equipment and procedure validation and qualification, failure/deviation reports, standard operating procedures, clinical trial protocols, pharmaceutical package inserts, patents, and environmental impact statements.
Ph.D. Chemical Physics
-- pharmaceutical chemistry/biotech areas
-- environmental areas
-- polymer chemistry and physics
-- liquid crystals
-- physics of metals and semiconductors
-- personal library of scientific texts and bilingual dictionaries
-- Wildman Science Library nearby
-- cable modem access to net
-- DIALOG and STN abstract and article databases
-- other resources on Web
-- personal online subscriptions to searchable physics and chemistry research journals:
-- SPIN physics abstracts
-- Physical Review (all sections)
-- Review of Scientific Instruments
-- Applied Physics Letters
-- Journal of the American Chemical Society
-- Accounts of Chemical Research
-- Analytical Chemistry
-- Biotechnology Progress
-- Chemistry of Materials
-- Energy & Fuels
-- Environmental Science & Technology
-- Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research
-- Organic Process Research & Development
Some typical recent projects for agencies:
1) Italian chemistry project (about 35,000 words total over a period of several months), involving translation of technical correspondence, lab reports, patents for a particular company.
2) Ongoing French pharmaceutical/biomedical project (about 43,000 words so far), involving mainly standard operating procedures/quality assurance for a particular company producing a medical device. Requires knowledge of chemistry lab procedures especially, although my knowledge of physics and materials science helps for some aspects.
3) Russian patents (about 49,000 words total over a three-week period) involving solid state physics and optics.
4) Translated over 240,000 Russian words during a year-long project involving Russian research journal articles relevant to a biotech project.
5) Project involving translation of standard operating procedures and reports for a German pharmaceutical company (total of about 52,000 words).
6) Italian chemistry project concerning internal company reports about a new chemical product, about 14,000 words total.
Consultants Bureau, Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1978 to present:
Two Russian books into English:
(1980) Ambident Anions by Reutov, Beletskaya, and Kurts (organic
(1986) Mathematical Theory of Electrophoresis by Babskii, Zhukov, and
Also regular assignments for Consultant Bureau's translation
journal program since 1978, translating Russian articles into English
for: Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (Chemistry, Physical Chemistry,
Biophysics, Crystallography), High Energy Chemistry, Kinetics and
Catalysis, Colloid Journal, Soviet Physics-Crystallography, Soviet
Physics Journal, Soviet Radiochemistry, Theoretical and Experimental
Chemistry, Industrial Laboratory, Journal of Analytical Chemistry,
Journal of General Chemistry, Journal of Applied Chemistry, Journal of
Applied Spectroscopy, Journal of Structural Chemistry, Chemical and
Petroleum Engineering, Theoretical Foundations of Chemical Engineering,
High-Purity Substances, The Soviet Journal of Glass Physics and
Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Metal Science and Heat Treatment,
Melts, Soviet Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, Soviet Journal of
Nondestructive Testing, Measurement Techniques, Mechanics of Composite
Materials, Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Applied
Biochemistry and Microbiology, Strength of Materials, Glass and
Ceramics, Astrophysics, Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Cosmic
Research, Lithology and Mineral Resources, Soviet Applied Mechanics,
Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, Soviet Atomic
Energy. Translated the entire Biophysics, Physical Chemistry, and
Chemistry sections of the Doklady (Proceedings of the Russian Academy of
Sciences) for the July-December 1993 issues, until Plenum lost the
contract for that journal in 1994.
Scripta Technica (Wiley), 1996:
Geophysics and oceanography articles for Transactions (Doklady) of
the Russian Academy of Sciences: Earth Science Sections (from Russian
The book Introduction to the Thermodynamics of Biological Processes
by Jou and Llebot from Spanish into English.
Sphinx Press (International Universities Press), 1987:
Two issues of the Russian journal Physics of Metals into English,
until the journal project was dropped by the publisher.
American Institute of Physics, 1980-1981:
Articles from the Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
(Russian to English)