· 11 years professional experience in software localization.
· Mother-tongue Italian translator with fluent English and French. Degree in Translation (French and English), University of Trieste.
· Fields of expertise: CAD, DTP packages, antivirus programs, GIS applications, word processors, networks, telecommunications, Internet, printers, multifunction systems, databases, mechanics.
· Localization, compiling, testing and bug fixing of:
- software resource files (Pebbles, Equalizer, Translator's Editor,
Red, Proteus, etc.).
- help files (Help Workshop, HelpQA, Houdini).
- tutorial files (Multimedia Toolbook).
· Localization of:
- documentation files (Word + Trados Translator's Workbench,
MultiTerm, S -Tagger and S -Tag Verifier, Deja Vu, XL8,
FrameMaker, PageMaker, QuarkXPress).
- readme files, manual covers, packaging text and CD backliners.
- art files (Paint Shop Pro, Hotspot Editor, Tiffany, Adobe Photoshop).
- HTML files for Web sites (HomeSite, ITP Kitten Tools).
- multimedia and demo files, including troubleshooting of sound and
voice related problems.
· DTP (FrameMaker, PageMaker, QuarkXPress, Word).
· PostScript and PDF files generation and testing (Acrobat Distiller, Acrobat Exchange).
· Editing, proofreading and consistency check of translated texts.
· Strong project management and interpersonal skills, including liaising with freelance contractors and clients.
1983 - 1989
Scuola Superiore di Lingue Moderne per Traduttori e Interpreti (Modern Languages and Translation) at the University of Trieste, Italy (http://www.sslmit.univ.trieste.it/). This is the only University Faculty for translators in Italy. Enrolment is subject to an entrance exam. I was awarded my Degree in Translation (French and English
April 1991 to May 1992
Technical translator for Softrans-Berlitz International, Dublin. Work included translation from English into Italian of software and computer documentation, compilation of glossaries, editing and proofreading of translated texts and eventual formatting of the same. I was team leader/editor for one major project, which involved editing and consistency checking work from outside translators, as well as having responsibility for the translation of part of the associated software in-house. I also successfully completed courses in Ventura Publisher and DOS/Norton Utilities. Programs used: Microsoft Word, PageMaker, QuarkXpress, Ventura, FrameMaker, Brief, WordPerfect, Ami Pro, XL8, Trados.
1992 to date
At present I offer localization services from English and French into Italian.