Experience Processing English-Language Prose into Publishable Text
- Copy-edited doctoral theses and scientific papers which were subsequently published.
- Copy-edited and assisted preparation of multiple-volume reports on sand control, corrosion control and oceanographic baselines of the Persian Gulf for the University of Petroleum and Minerals Research Institute.
- More than five years of experience teaching English grammar and writing.
Fluency in Turkish, French and Spanish
- More than ten years of regularly using Turkish while living in Turkey and in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, where there was a large Turkish community.
- Large amounts of independent reading in these languages.
Experience translating and interpreting between Turkish and English.
- Aiding communication between the English-speaking staff of a Turkish restaurant and the Turkish-speaking cook.
- Translated Montana code for food-service establishments into Turkish for benefit of Turkish-speaking cook.
1994-1998 Manager of a Turkish restaurant.
1987-1990 Freelance copy editor in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
1984-1987 English editor at the University of Petroleum and Mineral Research Institute in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
1983-1984 ESL instructor for second graders at Dhahran Academy, the American consulate school in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
1982-1983 ESL instructor at Al-Faysaliyya Girls' School, Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, a private grade/high school for Arabic-speaking girls.
1980-1981 Instructor of ESL course organized through the Office of International Education at MSU.
1979 Instructor of intensive English courses at Cagdil English language Institute, Bursa, Turkey.
1977-1978 Instructor of intensive English course at Middle East Technical University School of Languages, Gaziantep, Turkey.
1977 Teaching Assistant at University of Illinois Intensive Language Institute, Urbana, Illinois.
EDUCATION: University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, 1972-1977
- Master's degree in Teaching English as a Second Language with a grade point average of 4.9 on a five-point scale.
- BA in French Language and Linguistics. Braduated magna cum laude with a grade point average of 4.9 on a five-point scale. Minors in Russian and Spanish. Member of Phi Beta Kappa.
$8/100 target language words