I have just this month February 2012 completed a major co-translation project, translating a novel from Arabic to English for publication this year by Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing – the award winning "Throwing Sparks" by the controversial Saudi - Hijazi writer, Abdo Khal.
International Studies & Education;
Programming& Development for Nature Conservancy and Environmental Protection
Arabic language teaching; Middle East & South Asia Advocacy & Exchange
University of California, Berkeley
B.A. summa cum laude 1979
Near Eastern Studies -- Arabic and Persian Literature,
minor in International Development Studies
High School Diploma from the American Community School,
18 years senior program and management responsibility in community development, humanitarian assistance, public health and human rights advocacy in the Middle East & South Asia
Track record in innovative research, information, education and communication projects
Operational and policy experience in community work in inner city and foreign-born communities in Baltimore and Washington DC
Proven leadership ability in management of change and restructuring local and international development and health care programs, including initiation and guidance of processes of evaluation, strategic planning, team-building, networking and coalition-building
Experience in designing and initiating processes of participatory, experiential staff development
Skills in program development and administration, human resources management and information-based office systems geared to measuring and demonstrating program impact and enhancing accountability
Record of contribution to public affairs advocacy at international, national and local levels
Language skills: Arabic (fluent), French (fluent), Farsi (sound), Urdu and Spanish (basic)
Teaching and Curriculum Planning: launched elementary Arabic language and Arab World introductory courses
Comments Received from Publication Editors and Original Authors on
Michael Scott’s Translation Work from Arabic to English
• I appreciate the travails you went through in the translation of THROWING SPARKS. It's an extraordinary book in many ways. I thought it read very well in English. Well done!
• I think this is a fine translation…It is a fine piece of work. I like particularly the way the translator has been able to transfer the quasi-causal style into English.
• …You have done a wonderful job…I am impressed by your knowledge of the subject and your interest. It certainly shows in the translation. This is great.
• I like this translation of Mordechai’s Mustache a great deal; it is able to inject a vernacular quality (which is present in the Arabic) into the English and at the same time to retain the drollness and other-worldiness of the entire subject.
• I really enjoyed the translation of Is this Home. It is good, conveys the feeling of the piece, obviously Michael was in touch with what the author was writing about.
• I spoke to Elias, who thinks the translation is great……thanks a lot for the excellent and rapid work..
• It's good news! - took less time then I expected.
I thought the English article was very eloquent…
Keywords: early childhood education, disability, workshop and conference interpreter, refugee and immigration translator, airport interpreter, tourism, health and social services, project proposals, reports, participatory evaluations, agenda planning, scheduling, marketing, public relations, networking