Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
French to English: RISK OF FIRE ON THE ROLLING STOCK IN TUNNELS
Source text - French La principale problématique des incendies sur leur environnement concerne l’évacuation des personnes. Un incendie sur un pont, dans une tranchée ou dans un tunnel limite l’évacuation des personnes et l’efficacité d’intervention des secours. Dans le cas d’un tunnel, par exemple, toute l’évacuation s’effectue dans une zone à risque qui peut demeurer jusqu’à la sortie du tunnel.
De plus, l’infrastructure n’est pas construite pour résister à des feux et des températures extrêmes durant des temps prolongés. On peut aisément imaginer un tunnel s’effondrant car la voûte se fissure du fait de l’incendie, ou un pont suspendu dont les câbles soumis à un feu de forte intensité se rompent.
Au bout de plusieurs dizaines de minutes dans un incendie, si les conditions sont réunies, la température peut dépasser 1000°C. A de telles sollicitations, même les bétons se désagrègent et se fissurent. Très peu de matériaux peuvent résister longtemps à telles sollicitations et l’extinction est très difficile, car la chaleur devient telle qu’il est impossible de s’approcher.
Il est primordial d’éviter de telles situations et de permettre la sauvegarde des personnes. Dans ce cadre, les actions passent tant par une conception du tunnel ou de l’infrastructure (ventilations, définition des refuges et des possibilités d’évacuation, plans de prévention…) que du véhicule ferroviaire.
Translation - English The main problems of fire on its environment relate to evacuation of the people. A fire on a bridge, trench or a tunnel limits the evacuation of people and limits the effectiveness of intervention of relief. In the case of a tunnel, for example, evacuation is carried out in a risk zone, which can remain up to the exit of the tunnel.
Moreover, the infrastructure is not built to resist fire and extreme temperatures lasting for prolonged time. One can easily imagine a collapsing tunnel because the vault fissures due to a fire, or a suspension bridge whose cables break due to a fire of strong intensity.
At the end of several tens of minutes in a fire, if the conditions are met, the temperature can exceed 1000° C. With such demands, even the concrete disintegrates and fissures. Very few materials can resist such demands for a long time and the extinction of fire is very difficult, because heat becomes such that it is impossible to approach the fire.
It is of primary importance to avoid such situations and to ensure safeguard of the people. Within this framework, the actions pass either by a design of the tunnel or infrastructure (ventilation, specification of the shelter and possibilities of evacuation, plans of prevention...) of the railway vehicle.
Graduate in Mechanical Engineering with over 30 years of experience in Indian Steel Industry at SAIL (technical collaboration with Peugeot Loire of France); experienced in surface engineering technologies with working for Indian / French companies for over 14 years.
working experience in association with French companies for over 30 years.
Undergone specialised course with accent on technical French; passed Pre Diplôme from Alliance Française at Chennai, India.
Studied advanced language course for one month during 1981 at ACTIM (Agence pour la cooperation technique industrielle et economique) language school at Cachan near Paris in France.
Undergone specialized training at the factory and offices of Peugeot Loire at Pont de Roide, Firminy and Paris in France for a period of 5 months.
Also headed the activity of Technical Know How and Transfer involving French documents of Peugeot Loire at Salem Steel Plant.
Assisted and handled translation of French documents and correspondence, as required, with a French multinational in India from 1999 to 2005.
As a freelance translator (17 years), have done translation (2 million words) of technical documents from French to English, on a large scale. Translated / quality audited over 800 French patent documents (> 500,000 words) for a leading KPO in Chennai, India.
Have been working in Tamil - English - Tamil language pairs on a regular scale for over 10 years.
As a Language Expert (Tamil – Listening & Reading Passages), sourced, transcribed and translated Tamil passages to English, in line with Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR 1-3), in the following areas: Culture/Social, Geography, Political/Economic, Science/Technology and Military/Security.
I have done over 200 small projects of Tamil transcription and English rendering of Tamil audio clips for different levels of language learning.
My free translation, in Tamil, can be seen in the following sites:
http://www.bompa.org - 230 words [for the famous children's poem: "The Owl and the Pussy-cat" from Edward Lear along with 90 other language translations]
www.mylanguages.org - 2,424 words [Website offering free lessons in many (over 90) languages]. My Tamil translation/transliteration/audio can be browsed/listened at http://learn101.org/tamil.php.
My translation from Tamil to English can be seen in the following (Temple) site: http://www.srimandapapidiammantemple.com/histry.html
French to English
Document type - No of words
Patent documents - 500,000
Commercial lease, France - 8,100
Sale Deed-French Property - 5,600
Information technology in Morocco - 10,800
Technical documents and correspondence (Morocco) - 50,200
Fire risk policy at SNCF, France - 23,000
Stainless steel welding (France) - 7,000
Valeo - procedure orders and production documents - 57,900
Diplôme Européen (France) - 48,000
Steel plant (Duferco & Arcelor) - 20,300
Tender for overhead transmission lines (Algeria) - 11,700
Tender for public Transportation System, Belgium - 22,100
Tender for Medicinal products (Senegal) - 18,000
Banking software document - 60,000
Construction document (Algeria) - 40,000
Medical (pharma) document - 25,000
French Tax Return forms - 10,900
Child abuse (Canada) – 31,500
Youth's mental health (Quebec) - 38,000
Transportation Logistics (Quebec) - 17,000
Tender for Railway telecommunication services (Côte d'Ivoire) – 11,500
Packing list (chemicals) – 10,500
Transportation (Congo – 2,000)
Product survey – 3,700
Internal audit – 6,500
Human Resources Management (Quebec) - 93,800
Cosmetic article - 15,500
Medical - Patient info sheets & others - ((TAM ENG) - 4,700
Devotional - ((TAM ENG) - 2,200
Certificates (civil & consumer) (TAM ENG) – 700
Cognition tests - touch-screen system for patients (TAM ENG) – 3,200
Family Safety Pack – Factsheets – (ENG TAM) - 2,200
Transcription & Translation (to English) of audio files in Tamil (Educational) (TAM ENG) - 22,700
Transcription & Translation (to English) of audio file in Tamil (Medical ) (TAM ENG) - 1,250
* "I would absolutely be pleased to consider you for further projects. I really enjoyed working with you on the last project and I respected your experience and professionalism."
* "Once again I thank you for taking up that assignment and completing it to the utmost satisfaction of the French guy as well as the people at the customer end."
* "The quality of the documents that you translated is good. Thus, we will continue to send you documents for translations from French to English."
* "Mohan did an awesome and professional job, and exceeded our expectations! All in a timely manner, and we definitely are willing to work again with this friendly individual."
* "I got the feedback from our client stating that the Translation was good."
* "A very reliable service provider; always available when we need him; always prompt in his work and adheres to the tight time schedule without compromising quality. He usually supplies us with the translation before the requested deadline. We are completely satisfied with his translations and continue to use his services currently and in future.
We have also availed his services for translating quite a few complex legal documents from English to Tamil. He ensured that the translated versions precisely reflect the legal interpretations of the source document.
We have also availed his services for translating a few complex religious documents in Sanskrit/Hindi to English. For this unique assignment, Mr Mohan has collaborated with a team of Hindu religion experts & Sanskrit linguists and brought out a high quality output. The output also had transliterations."
* "I have now studied your interim report number 4. Thank you very much for excellent work. I am really impressed by the ease of co-operating with you. Your ability to understand my intentions is very impressive, and your work and reports are clear and logic."
* "Mohan is very professional - a wonderful linguist and a pleasure to work with."
* "An extremely experienced and responsive professional. Highly recommended."
* "As usual, Mohan provides the most professional translation and friendliest attitude. Glad to do business with you again."
* "Thanks for your good job. We received your final document."
* "Thank you so much sir for your quality work."
* "Just excellent. No wonder your customers are after you for translation."
* "Thank you so much for the delivery and for your time commitment. ... Thanks Mohan again for your big support and expect a new task soon."
This user has earned KudoZ points by helping other translators with PRO-level terms. Click point total(s) to see term translations provided.