https://www.proz.com/forum/d%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu_support/231556-dongle_or_serial.html

Dongle or serial?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:01
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Aug 28, 2012

This may sound obvious, but can someone detail the advantages of using a dongle (since it costs 29 EUR and can be lost)?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Portability of license Aug 28, 2012

I don't use DV, but have used dongles in other circumstances, so I can only speak in general terms. Using a dongle allows you to seamlessly transfer your single-activation license from one computer to another, say, if you decide to work on your laptop for a while rather than your desktop, or if your computer dies and you need to re-install the software. With on-line licensing, you would have to return the license from one machine, and then relicense the software on the other machine. This proce... See more
I don't use DV, but have used dongles in other circumstances, so I can only speak in general terms. Using a dongle allows you to seamlessly transfer your single-activation license from one computer to another, say, if you decide to work on your laptop for a while rather than your desktop, or if your computer dies and you need to re-install the software. With on-line licensing, you would have to return the license from one machine, and then relicense the software on the other machine. This process is cumbersome to do frequently, and (AFAIK) would be impossible if you find yourself without internet access.Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
What if it gets lost? Aug 28, 2012

Thank you, Rudolf!

But what happens if it gets lost? Can they issue you another one (+29 EUR) or do you have to buy another license (God forbid)? No online authentication may have its shortcomings too it seems.

Anybody?

Best Regards,
PTs

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:01
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
new dongle Aug 28, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Thank you, Rudolf!

But what happens if it gets lost? Can they issue you another one (+29 EUR) or do you have to buy another license (God forbid)? No online authentication may have its shortcomings too it seems.

Anybody?

Best Regards,
PTs

There are nice people at ATRIL so AFAIK you don't need to buy a new license, just a new dongle. This issue was discussed once on PROZ, but I cannot find it now.
To be 100% sure, you can ask via [email protected]
regards, Ewa
P.S. myself, I prefer a dongle for the reason explained by Rudolf

[Edited at 2012-08-28 19:23 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
German to English
Dongle Aug 28, 2012

I've used a dongle for DejaVu since 1998, never damaged it, nor lost it. DVX2 requires its own dongle and I'm happy with it. I would suggest that you attach a lanyard or a long ribbon to your dongle to help prevent misplacing it.

The arcane registration scheme required by an [unnamed] major CAT tool is a major pain. I lost several days' productivity a while back because of installation errors on my part (and computer hiccup). The product is ostensibly installable on 2 computers (not
... See more
I've used a dongle for DejaVu since 1998, never damaged it, nor lost it. DVX2 requires its own dongle and I'm happy with it. I would suggest that you attach a lanyard or a long ribbon to your dongle to help prevent misplacing it.

The arcane registration scheme required by an [unnamed] major CAT tool is a major pain. I lost several days' productivity a while back because of installation errors on my part (and computer hiccup). The product is ostensibly installable on 2 computers (not used at the same time) without having to de-register/re-register, but now I have only 1 installation available for use. I bought the upgrade to the 2011 version, but I'm afraid to install it, as I can't afford the downtime.

In my experience, the dongle is really only needed when starting the program, opening a project and possibly when exporting. While working, you can usually remove the dongle and place it somewhere safe.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:01
Italian to English
In memoriam
Six of one and half a dozen of the other Aug 28, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

I don't use DV, but have used dongles in other circumstances, so I can only speak in general terms. Using a dongle allows you to seamlessly transfer your single-activation license from one computer to another, say, if you decide to work on your laptop for a while rather than your desktop, or if your computer dies and you need to re-install the software. With on-line licensing, you would have to return the license from one machine, and then relicense the software on the other machine. This process is cumbersome to do frequently, and (AFAIK) would be impossible if you find yourself without internet access.

All true.

However, it is equally true that a dongle - and over the years I have used DV and Trados (remember them?) dongles - is a piece of kit that can go missing.

On more than one occasion, I have had to drive many kilometres back home to pick up a dongle after heading off for a weekend away, something I have never had to worry about with activation licences.

FWIW

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 28, 2012

Kevin,

I know what you mean.

I have had my share of Trados problems as well – this is what prompted me to look for a substitute in the first place.

But surely DJV serials do not pose such a risk?

Kind Regards,
PTs

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 28, 2012

Giles,

thank you for your comment.

I am really looking forward to receiving more first-hand comments of DJV serials vs DJV dongles.

I own the Pro version with a dongle now and it sits on my desk, however, when I run out of USB ports, I disconnect it to connect an external HDD.

Now, every time I disconnect the dongle, I can feel my stress levels rise.

Once already I h
... See more
Giles,

thank you for your comment.

I am really looking forward to receiving more first-hand comments of DJV serials vs DJV dongles.

I own the Pro version with a dongle now and it sits on my desk, however, when I run out of USB ports, I disconnect it to connect an external HDD.

Now, every time I disconnect the dongle, I can feel my stress levels rise.

Once already I have had to fish for it behind the desk. Or I can easily imaging my son picking it up and breaking it, while playing with it.

So there is an inherent risk there.

But let me paraphrase my question: what could go wrong with a DJV serial?

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle or serial?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »