https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/324038-vat_exempt_can_i_avail_of_how_to_avoid_paying_vat_for_proz_membership.html

VAT exempt - Can I avail of 'how to avoid paying VAT' for ProZ membership?
Thread poster: Hilary McGrath
Hilary McGrath
Hilary McGrath  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:31
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2018

Hello,
I have set up as a micro entrepreneur in France (VAT exempt). As far as I understand, I should request my VAT number to quote on invoices, which I have done.

I intend upgrading my ProZ membership, and when I do there is a box for EU Residents only 'How to avoid paying VAT' which states, 'Even if you have a VAT number and do not pay VAT to ProZ.com, you might be responsible for accounting for VAT. In some countries, in this case the tax liabilities are reversed. Please c
... See more
Hello,
I have set up as a micro entrepreneur in France (VAT exempt). As far as I understand, I should request my VAT number to quote on invoices, which I have done.

I intend upgrading my ProZ membership, and when I do there is a box for EU Residents only 'How to avoid paying VAT' which states, 'Even if you have a VAT number and do not pay VAT to ProZ.com, you might be responsible for accounting for VAT. In some countries, in this case the tax liabilities are reversed. Please check with your local tax authorities.'

I am assuming that I should pay the VAT because of my set up. Could anyone confirm?
Thanks
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
yes, you have to pay VAT Mar 27, 2018

As a micro-entrepreneur you must pay VAT when you buy and you cannot charge VAT when you invoice.
See the portal (in French) https://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/questions_reponses.htm#Fiscalite4

"A ce titre vous n'avez pas à facturer de la TVA et donc vous ne pouvez pas la récupérer.
En outre, vous devez faire figurer sur vos factures la mention
... See more
As a micro-entrepreneur you must pay VAT when you buy and you cannot charge VAT when you invoice.
See the portal (in French) https://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/questions_reponses.htm#Fiscalite4

"A ce titre vous n'avez pas à facturer de la TVA et donc vous ne pouvez pas la récupérer.
En outre, vous devez faire figurer sur vos factures la mention « TVA non applicable, article 293 B du code général des impôts ». "
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm not sure that 'exempt' is the right word Mar 27, 2018

I think it's more that you aren't registered for VAT.

But you certainly don't add VAT to your invoices and, equally, you don't get away with not paying it on purchases. I think the reason you need to include your number on your B2B invoices is simply so that audits can be performed across the EU states and the VAT books can get balanced. Fortunately, I remember the French DES return as being a 2-minute job.

In the Canary Islands we profit from most EU benefits AND we a
... See more
I think it's more that you aren't registered for VAT.

But you certainly don't add VAT to your invoices and, equally, you don't get away with not paying it on purchases. I think the reason you need to include your number on your B2B invoices is simply so that audits can be performed across the EU states and the VAT books can get balanced. Fortunately, I remember the French DES return as being a 2-minute job.

In the Canary Islands we profit from most EU benefits AND we aren't part of the VAT system. Our IGIC on local purchases is only 7%. When we buy goods from mainland Spain or another EU member we can get the seller to remove the VAT. And as private individuals we only pay IGIC if the total price is EUR 150 or more. Win, win .
Collapse

Hilary McGrath
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 28, 2018

Yes, I should have said I'm not registered for VAT, rather than being exempt.
Thanks nordiste and Sheila.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Once you have your VAT number, just fill it in on the Proz membership form Mar 28, 2018

Just fill in your VAT number once you have it. You won't have to pay VAT.

Fyi, by paying you won't be 'upgrading' your Proz membership, you will become a Proz Member. The site no longer considers or refers to non-payers as members.

Hilary McGrath
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
of course it depends on circumstances Mar 28, 2018

It's clear I won't pay VAT if I tick the box, but my question was whether this is the right action based on my circumstances (micro entrepreneur, not registered for VAT). I think the answer is (see nordiste's comment) 'As a micro-entrepreneur you must pay VAT when you buy and you cannot charge VAT when you invoice.'

The orange button to click on in order to take Plus membership is still labelled 'Upgrade.'

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
France VAT regulation for micro-entrepreneur Mar 28, 2018

writeaway wrote:
Just fill in your VAT number once you have it. You won't have to pay VAT.

No.
Although it is technically possible - Proz does not care about French micro-entrepreneur status - in doing so you would not be compliant with the French tax regulation.
As Sheila said, in your case the VAT number is only used to audit cross-border business in the EU.

Hilary McGrath
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Signed up, paid up Mar 29, 2018

Hi all,
I've replied twice already on this thread but my posts are awaiting approval (I don't know how long that takes, I guess it's because I'm a newbie).

Thanks for all replies. I've signed up and paid my VAT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT exempt - Can I avail of 'how to avoid paying VAT' for ProZ membership?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »