https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/79814-search_and_replace_across_bilingual_doc_files.html

Search and Replace across (bilingual) .doc files
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:59
German to English
Jul 28, 2007

I need to do a global search and replace for a large number of .doc files - how to best do this within Trados?

I usually work with Word (and Workbench). There is a global search and replace function within SDLX, so I created a project with all the 'doc files, which then turned all the doc files into itd files. I went ahead with the Search and Replace, which seemed to work fine, but now I do not know how to get these back to 'regular' doc files.

Or is there another/bet
... See more
I need to do a global search and replace for a large number of .doc files - how to best do this within Trados?

I usually work with Word (and Workbench). There is a global search and replace function within SDLX, so I created a project with all the 'doc files, which then turned all the doc files into itd files. I went ahead with the Search and Replace, which seemed to work fine, but now I do not know how to get these back to 'regular' doc files.

Or is there another/better way of doing this? Advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Ando Tools Jul 28, 2007

Hi Brigitte,

You can also try Ando Tools, which is a template installing in Word and has support for multiple open documents search and replace.

You can get it here: http://atools.sunsite.dk/

HTH

Piotr

P.S. I forgot to add that Ando Tools are free.

[Edited at 2007-07-28 09:49]

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:59
English to French
+ ...
use the project wizard or download search and replace Jul 28, 2007

Hi Brigitte,

You did not pick the easiest way, but anyway, now that your ITD files are corrected, and if you converted the doc files using the project wizard in SDLX, then you can re-open the project wizard to re-convert them properly. You might as well use the eye icon (preview function) in SDL Edit, but that might be quite a long process if you have a number of files.

Otherwise, another solution might be the Search and Replace tool by Fungus. You can find an evaluatio
... See more
Hi Brigitte,

You did not pick the easiest way, but anyway, now that your ITD files are corrected, and if you converted the doc files using the project wizard in SDLX, then you can re-open the project wizard to re-convert them properly. You might as well use the eye icon (preview function) in SDL Edit, but that might be quite a long process if you have a number of files.

Otherwise, another solution might be the Search and Replace tool by Fungus. You can find an evaluation version quite easily on Internet. It allows you to perform text searches in most Office formats and replace text without having to open the files. It's the best tool I have used so far, but if anyone has got a better advice, I am always ready for it)
Cheers,

Annelise
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search and Replace across (bilingual) .doc files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »