https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/36806-any_suggestion_to_the_terms_of_payment.html

Any suggestion to the terms of payment?
Thread poster: llian
llian
llian
English to Chinese
Sep 16, 2005

Can anyone give me any suggestion of the proper terms of payment of translation work? It seems that the common practice is within one or two months upon delivery of the work.
However, in most situation,we don't meet our clients or agents.What if we deliver the work and they refuse to pay? Any tips, ideas, suggestions or experience to share?

Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-16 17:24]

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
I posted my own situation Sep 17, 2005

in the English forum.

If you are as unlucky as I am, better be persistent and fight for your money using any appropriate approach. This of course will vary from case to case. In my case, the guy even went to extrems as to hang up upon me in the end. And I have to use some "underhand" tricks by calling his fiancee, who happens to be a very friendly Chinese woman about 20+ years of his junior.

I know this old guy is hiding everything from her, and is afraid of exposing
... See more
in the English forum.

If you are as unlucky as I am, better be persistent and fight for your money using any appropriate approach. This of course will vary from case to case. In my case, the guy even went to extrems as to hang up upon me in the end. And I have to use some "underhand" tricks by calling his fiancee, who happens to be a very friendly Chinese woman about 20+ years of his junior.

I know this old guy is hiding everything from her, and is afraid of exposing his dark mean side to this woman. So I called her instead to get a promise of payment and pressure upon the guy. It seems worked a little by far.

My next step would be to hire a collection agency and squeeze him harder. Of course a commission must be paid.

I don't want to go any further than that. But legal precedures should follow if the debt is huge.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any suggestion to the terms of payment?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »