Thread poster: Fiona Thomson
Fiona Thomson
Fiona Thomson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
German to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2006

I have Office 10 on Windows XP.
Every so often, for no apparent reason, Word closes itself down. Usually it recovers the document I am working on, sometimes it doesn't. It happens when I have other programs open and also when I have nothing else open. There is no pattern in terms of the length of time the program has been open. I have run a virus check and there seems to be nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how I can get it to behave?!

[Edited
... See more
Every so often, for no apparent reason, Word closes itself down. Usually it recovers the document I am working on, sometimes it doesn't. It happens when I have other programs open and also when I have nothing else open. There is no pattern in terms of the length of time the program has been open. I have run a virus check and there seems to be nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how I can get it to behave?!

[Edited at 2006-06-22 07:57]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Search for updates/SPs etc. Jun 22, 2006

I have no idea what's causing this problem, but I would do one or both of the following:

1 - Reinstall Word 10 from the disc.

2 - Search the Microsoft website for updates/servicepacks/patches etc. to see if perhaps this is a general problem that has already been addressed.

Don't you just LOOOOOVE computers?

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Last Windows patches ? Jun 22, 2006

fiona_bcn wrote:

I have no idea of the possible cause, but I can tell you I experienced the same problem a few minutes after rebooting my PC (Windows XP; Office 2003) a few days ago, after having downloaded the last Windows security patches update.

I'd like to know if other users have noticed a possible correlation between these troubles and the download of Windows patches.

Marco

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've been told... Jun 22, 2006

fiona_bcn wrote:

...this happens when you have a pirated version.

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bill's words on Word Jun 22, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

I have been told...

...this happens when you have a pirated version.

I wouldn't trust Bill Gates' words on Word... he's kind of an interested party.

Marco

Alexandra Beisl
Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same Problem in Conjunction with Trados Jun 22, 2006

Interestingly, I am experiencing the same problem in conjunction with Trados, ever since downloading the latest patch and my version is definitely genuine!

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bad patches indeed Jun 22, 2006

alexbeisl wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem in conjunction with Trados, ever since downloading the latest patch and my version is definitely genuine!

That's exactly what is happening to me: many Trados segments cause the sudden shut of Word and the automatic launch of the recovering procedure.

I have managed to temporarily avoid the problem by not saving the segments that don't work properly and directly jumping to the following one(s).

Please, Bill, patch your patches !!

Ines Bojlesen
Ines Bojlesen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2006)
Service Pack Update - problem with Word+Trados Jun 23, 2006

On June 16 I received the automatic update and had it installed, and after that Word and Trados would freeze and not work.
I was told today by Microsoft that update # KB908531 is probably what is causing it.
Do not uninstall Service Pack 2. Call Microsoft and ask them to help you manually uninstall this update.
I was told by a Dell tech support person to uninstall Service Pack 2, and then I couldn't even get Windows XP started.
My Windows XP is original installed by D
... See more
On June 16 I received the automatic update and had it installed, and after that Word and Trados would freeze and not work.
I was told today by Microsoft that update # KB908531 is probably what is causing it.
Do not uninstall Service Pack 2. Call Microsoft and ask them to help you manually uninstall this update.
I was told by a Dell tech support person to uninstall Service Pack 2, and then I couldn't even get Windows XP started.
My Windows XP is original installed by Dell.
Another suggestion, don't have automatic updates activated, better check periodically what is available, and what patches were needed.
Collapse

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Old Microsoft Update Jun 23, 2006

Hi Ines,

I've found an article explaining the troubles caused by the patch to which you're referring to, as well as the procedure for manually removing it.

The only thing that doesn't convince me is this update was released in April, so I was supposed to have troubles since the month of April, which is not what happened to
... See more
Hi Ines,

I've found an article explaining the troubles caused by the patch to which you're referring to, as well as the procedure for manually removing it.

The only thing that doesn't convince me is this update was released in April, so I was supposed to have troubles since the month of April, which is not what happened to me.

Anyway, this is the link: http://www.updatexp.com/kb908531.html

Rgds
Marco

[Edited at 2006-06-23 06:35]
Collapse

Estelle Chauvet
Estelle Chauvet
France
English to French
Same problem :( Jun 23, 2006

Has anyone tried to uninstall and reinstall the kb908531 patch? Is it working?

Thanks,
Estelle

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same problem with MetaTexis Jun 23, 2006

I encountered the same problem while using a fully legal copy of Office 2003 with MetaTexis (great CAT tool and underappreciated!) with Word just closing itself up for no apparent reason -- and I was stumped for almost a year, until I was adjusting settings on another computer to accomodate a terminology program for interpreting, and found that if the Advanced language settings tab for "Language for non-Unicode programs" was set to Chinese, things would crash, but if it were set to English, all ... See more
I encountered the same problem while using a fully legal copy of Office 2003 with MetaTexis (great CAT tool and underappreciated!) with Word just closing itself up for no apparent reason -- and I was stumped for almost a year, until I was adjusting settings on another computer to accomodate a terminology program for interpreting, and found that if the Advanced language settings tab for "Language for non-Unicode programs" was set to Chinese, things would crash, but if it were set to English, all the software played happily together. Now I just re-set this settting to Chinese ONLY when I need to be in the booth with my interpreting software, and leave it as English the rest of the time, and not a crash since.

This is under Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings > Advanced tab > [dropdown box for] Language for Non-Unicode Programs.

Don't know if this is your problem or not (and this BTW is on English Win XP Home edition) but it certainly solved a long-standing mystery for me.
Collapse

Ines Bojlesen
Ines Bojlesen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2006)
Microsoft Updates and Word problems Jun 23, 2006

Thank you all for your input. After spending (no kidding) 5 hours on the phone today with Microsoft, I have the following to report.
Update 908531 is no longer available, they removed it because of the problems it had.
With the help of a Microsoft tech sup person I installed 12 updates today, and the last one reproduced the very same problem as 908531, Word and Trados freezing and crashing. So I uninstalled this last one, KB917335 which was released on June 13, 2006, and Word and Tra
... See more
Thank you all for your input. After spending (no kidding) 5 hours on the phone today with Microsoft, I have the following to report.
Update 908531 is no longer available, they removed it because of the problems it had.
With the help of a Microsoft tech sup person I installed 12 updates today, and the last one reproduced the very same problem as 908531, Word and Trados freezing and crashing. So I uninstalled this last one, KB917335 which was released on June 13, 2006, and Word and Trados are back to normal.
I was the first client to report this bug, so my problem was sent to their Research Dept.
But just in case, if you are having the Word/Trados/other software problem, try uninstalling KB917335.
Collapse

Alexandra Beisl
Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Uninstalling Update seems to work! Jun 23, 2006

Just to let you know that after uninstalling the update mentioned by you everyting is in working order again! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jul 5, 2006

[Edited at 2006-07-05 10:44]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
word closin down for this update (to me) Jul 5, 2006

fiona_bcn wrote:

I've found this issue with the Office update: KB 917334 - Aggiornamento della
protezione per Word 2003
I have recently had to format my HD and reinstalling all the aplications
I've found a Word crash, never seen before, in docs that I've translated
without any problem in the past

Among other things the same file was perfectly translatable with Tageditor

So I've deinstalled and reinstalled all updates, one step at a time, to
found the buggy one: KB 917334

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word closing down

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »