https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/13684-star_transit_sattelite_30_pe_why_buy_anything.html

Star Transit Sattelite 3.0 PE, why buy anything?
Thread poster: Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 28, 2003

Dear colleagues,

After several years of experience with Trados (now using 5.5) and SDLX (now using 4.2.1), I decided to have a look at Star Transit today. I must say, I\'m impressed. It appears to have everything I could ever wish for. But there is one thing I just don\'t understand: Star Transit Sattelite 3.0 PE is free and appears to be so complete, why should I buy a different version? Seeing as CAT-jobs usually come fully prepared from the larger agencies, I fail to see why I would
... See more
Dear colleagues,

After several years of experience with Trados (now using 5.5) and SDLX (now using 4.2.1), I decided to have a look at Star Transit today. I must say, I\'m impressed. It appears to have everything I could ever wish for. But there is one thing I just don\'t understand: Star Transit Sattelite 3.0 PE is free and appears to be so complete, why should I buy a different version? Seeing as CAT-jobs usually come fully prepared from the larger agencies, I fail to see why I would need more than this free client. If I wanted to set up a project and manage it myself, I could easily switch to SLDX or Trados. So, please, try to convince I\'m wrong!

Let me know what you think.
Collapse

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The satel'Lite'-version can't create segmented language combination files Aug 29, 2003

Star Transit Sattelite 3.0 PE is free and appears to be so complete, why should I buy a different version?

Hi Huub, please find a description of the satellite version in German if you follow the link.

Transit Satellite PE (Personal Edition) ist als „Satellit" zur nach wie vor kostenpflichtigen und per Dongle geschützten Vollversion gedacht.
Der Anwender ist darauf angewiesen, dass ihm der Auftraggeber die bereits segmentierten Sprachpaare liefert. Mit „Transit Satellite PE" kann man diese nicht erstellen, sondern lediglich übersetzen.

http://www.uebersetzerportal.de/nachrichten/n-archiv/2001/2001-10/2001-10-12.htm

Groet

Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados and Transit complement each other Aug 29, 2003

Transit is a very powerful TM system, in some cases I use it instead of Trados (e.g. batch translation, Excel files are more convenient to deal with, on-the-fly terminology management etc.). Although I must say it is never required by translation agencies in my experience, so I use it for my own convenience and find it much more better than any other TM CAT tool.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
English to French
No way!!! Sep 1, 2003

1. You can't create projects with satellite unless you are willing to crack your brain and manually create project files. Probably doable, but not quite time efficient I would guess. That means that unless you work with an agency preparing files for you, forget it.
2. Same problem outputting files.
3. No spellchecker. You have to buy it separately.
4. No access to segmentation rules.
5. No access to TM. That means that is you have a perfect TM you would love to use for y
... See more
1. You can't create projects with satellite unless you are willing to crack your brain and manually create project files. Probably doable, but not quite time efficient I would guess. That means that unless you work with an agency preparing files for you, forget it.
5. No access to TM. That means that is you have a perfect TM you would love to use for your job, forget it. You can't use it.
6. No access to terminology import. You have a nice *.xls glossary? Good for you. Keep it in Excel. You can't access it from the satellite version.
7. No access to...etc.
8. Once the job is done, you have nothing. You can't reuse the TM, you can't reuse the glossary, you can't ...
9. Context search? Oups. No context search either (or at least, I didn't figure it out).

I like it, but it is just too limitated to work properly. It really is. If you are just starting to use CATs, it's a great step. It's almost beginner proof. But as you learn more about what can be done with CATs, you will want more and even grow upset about those bloody limitations.
Collapse

Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Transit and Trados Apr 23, 2004

Dear Sylver:

I have been asked to use Transit Satellite PE to translate a manual. But I have a number of Trados TMs and several Trados glossaries I'd like to use. Do you know or any way I can import these into Transit or export the Transit TM and dictionary so that I can process them for use with Trados?

Thanks very much!

Harold

sylver wrote:

5. No access to TM. That means that is you have a perfect TM you would love to use for your job, forget it. You can't use it.
6. No access to terminology import. You have a nice *.xls glossary? Good for you. Keep it in Excel. You can't access it from the satellite version.
7. No access to...etc.
8. Once the job is done, you have nothing. You can't reuse the TM, you can't reuse the glossary, you can't ...
9. Context search? Oups. No context search either (or at least, I didn't figure it out).

I like it, but it is just too limitated to work properly. It really is. If you are just starting to use CATs, it's a great step. It's almost beginner proof. But as you learn more about what can be done with CATs, you will want more and even grow upset about those bloody limitations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Star Transit Sattelite 3.0 PE, why buy anything?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »