Professional translator ES > EN and editor specializing in arts and culture, development and rights, politics and government. DipTrans IoLET. Ten years’ experience including ongoing translation and editing work for the International Training Centre of the ILO (direct client since 2008) and two year-long stints translating for the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (via an agency). I have also built up a solid general translation portfolio in fields from tourism and gastronomy to marketing and telecommunications.
Excellent feedback from a range of long-term collaborating agencies and direct clients.
- Annual Report 2015: Partial translation/full review of top Spanish fashion group’s Annual Report
- Strategy Spain: Book on Spanish political strategy with contents from experts, ex-ministers, journalists in the national press and Ibex 35 CEOs
- Various exhibition texts related to the life and works of Archduke Ludwig Salvator of Austria (Habsburgs)
- Trade union training materials on social protection floors, gender equality, OSH, wage equality
- Licenced user of Trados Studio 2014 and MemoQ 2015. Also familiar with the majority of common CAT tools currently in use.
What my clients say:
“Kate’s work is highly professional and we are impressed by her ability to produce clear and accurate translations on a wide range of specialist subjects (social protection, trade unions, gender, etc.) as well as thorough edits, often under challenging time constraints. We have been impressed by Kate’s productivity, commitment to quality and customer orientation, and have no hesitation in recommending her services.”
– Translation, editing and reporting (TER) unit, International Training Centre of the International Labour Organization (specialized agency of the United Nations)
“A translator must be able to detect potential cultural differences that affect the interpretation of the text […] Kate shows a sensitivity to the arts that makes us feel comfortable when communicating with her and allows us to have confidence in her translation methods. We liked the fact that she consulted us on certain points that she wanted to clarify during the project, showing an interest in offering the best possible work. Professionalism, speed, good results and very friendly and pleasant customer relations.”
– Arena en los Bolsillos Theatre Company
“A note of appreciation for the outstanding translation service provided by Kate Major. It is clear that Kate is not just a mere translator, but a multiskilled professional who does the necessary research to deliver accurate meaning and tone in her translations. She is a seasoned professional. She always respects schedules and deadlines. We’d recommend Kate to anyone who needs a translation from Spanish to English.”
- Peninsula Press