https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/23179-floating_graphics_scattering_in_word_2003.html

Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
German to English
Jul 22, 2004

I recently had a job with a lot of tiny little graphics as well as larger illustrations (*dozens* of graphics, not just a few). The job was to be done in Trados, but that's not really the point.

The files printed OK: every graphic (LED indicators or control panel messages next to captions) was in the proper position. Since I was to do the job in Trados, I ran the "ImagesIn/Out" macro after converting all graphics to inline images.

Strangely enough, not all the images we
... See more
I recently had a job with a lot of tiny little graphics as well as larger illustrations (*dozens* of graphics, not just a few). The job was to be done in Trados, but that's not really the point.

The files printed OK: every graphic (LED indicators or control panel messages next to captions) was in the proper position. Since I was to do the job in Trados, I ran the "ImagesIn/Out" macro after converting all graphics to inline images.

Strangely enough, not all the images were removed, but scattered through their respective files. Since I always make backups of original files, I wasn't in trouble.

I contacted the client (an agency) and was assured that they'd take care of the graphics, so I worked on one of backup sets. Trados removed *all* the graphics. Still no problem for me, since the agency said they'd do the heavy lifting in this regard.

After I sent the job, I decided to take a closer look at the original files, since I'd rather know what's going on, and also since I pride myself in having more than minimal competence in the tools of the trade. (when I printed, I only looked at the first pages, only one of which had a picture).

In many cases, the graphics boxes were positioned over the text they referred to, which I found strange.

My question is this: is there a way to anchor floating graphics so that they don't cover the text? The macro to convert floating graphics to inline didn't work very well, as I mentioned above.

The agency indicated that there will be a lot more files like this, and I'd like to be better prepared than I was last time.

Thanks, Kevin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Floating graphics scattering in Word 2003

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »