https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/34569-how_to_insert_a_grey_field_in_ms_word.html

How to insert a "grey field in MS Word"
Thread poster: Natalia Rivera
Natalia Rivera
Natalia Rivera
Mexico
Local time: 18:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

Hello, everyone!
The problem here is that I do not know how these fields are called. They are the ones that appear in grey color in the Word document, in which you can type text and it continues enlarging as much as the text does.

Thanks a lot!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:23
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
They should be called "Fields" indeed Jul 11, 2005

but I have only german Word, so maybe the english name is a different one.

Use the command "Form field" or "Field" from the menu "Insert".

The easiest way would be, however, to search in the Word help function, as there you will find the exact description for what to do in YOUR Word version.

Regards
Jerzy

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Text Box? Jul 11, 2005

Natalia Rivera wrote:

Hello, everyone!
The problem here is that I do not know how these fields are called. They are the ones that appear in grey color in the Word document, in which you can type text and it continues enlarging as much as the text does.

Thanks a lot!

I think you may be talking about a text box. It is on the Insert menu, bottom set after Picture and Drawing on WordXP. I have to say this, because sometimes, Microsoft changes things around.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert a "grey field in MS Word"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »