https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/21538-new_features_of_hosting_tell_us_more.html

New features of hosting -- tell us more?
Thread poster: Valters Feists
Valters Feists
Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:01
English to Latvian
+ ...
May 27, 2004

(From http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info)

1 MySQL database / 10 MySQL database?

Dear Jason:

What can be stored in MySQL databases?
Also, in terms of what are ten better than one?

Many thanks.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:01
SITE STAFF
Databases are used by some web applications May 27, 2004

Valters Feists wrote:

Valters,

Databases are useful for running advanced web applications. Some of the add-on CGIs available, such as the phpBB forum, require one database to operate. You could also install third-party web applications that require a MySQL database, or develop your own web applications.

Since most third-party web applications require their own database, a limit on the number of MySQL databases is effectively a limit on the number of web applications that can easily be run.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

Valters Feists
Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:01
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Pre-configured CGI scripts (chat, forums, guest book, hit counter) Jun 26, 2004

Valters Feists wrote:
Dear Jason:
Many thanks.

What if I want to set up: a forum, a couple of glossaries and a guestbook?
Will *each* of them *need at least one MySQL database*?

All in all, one database for data storage seems scanty. Would it be feasible to *allow 3 or 2 databases* in the upcoming _basic_ hosting system?

Anyway, the contents of these databases obviously already count toward the 100MB total limit of site data held on the hosting server.

Are all types of dynamic site-related data (i.e., the data other than pages, images, etc.) stored in MySQL databases, or are there other options as well regarding the format of storage?

Re: http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:01
SITE STAFF
Standard package now gets 2 MySQL databases Jul 8, 2004

Valters,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I have recently returned from a vacation.

Valters Feists wrote:
What if I want to set up: a forum, a couple of glossaries and a guestbook? Will *each* of them *need at least one MySQL database*?

Some CGI scripts require a database, others don't. You should be notified whether a script will require a database before you set it up. One guestbook CGI requires a database, for example, while the other one stores all of its data in a text file and thus does not require a database.

All in all, one database for data storage seems scanty. Would it be feasible to *allow 3 or 2 databases* in the upcoming _basic_ hosting system?

I've changed the standard hosting package to include 2 MySQL databases.

Anyway, the contents of these databases obviously already count toward the 100MB total limit of site data held on the hosting server.

That's correct.

Are all types of dynamic site-related data (i.e., the data other than pages, images, etc.) stored in MySQL databases, or are there other options as well regarding the format of storage?

Not all scripts require a database--see the description for each script to find out if it requires one.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 17:01
English to German
+ ...
something is functioning Aug 21, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:

Valters,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I have recently returned from a vacation.

Valters Feists wrote:
What if I want to set up: a forum, a couple of glossaries and a guestbook? Will *each* of them *need at least one MySQL database*?

Some CGI scripts require a database, others don't. You should be notified whether a script will require a database before you set it up. One guestbook CGI requires a database, for example, while the other one stores all of its data in a text file and thus does not require a database.

I've changed the standard hosting package to include 2 MySQL databases.

That's correct.

Not all scripts require a database--see the description for each script to find out if it requires one.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Hi! here it is, and thank you for the prompt help.
http://www.tle-services.com/phpbb I have generated 3 groups. Wish me further good exercise.
Rgds,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New features of hosting -- tell us more?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »