https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/11449-if_you_have_taken_the_vitac_la_test_translation_what_was_your_experience.html

If you have taken the Vitac (LA) test translation, what was your experience?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 30, 2003

Dear translator collagues,

Searching for those, who have filled translation test for Vitac (LA).
( http://www.vitac.com )
2 months ago the Vitac company posted an ad on a translator's forum (not on ProZ.com. , that said they were searching for translators in many language combinations. There were no geographical restrictions listed.
I applied. Two days later I received a translati
... See more
Dear translator collagues,

Searching for those, who have filled translation test for Vitac (LA).
( http://www.vitac.com )
2 months ago the Vitac company posted an ad on a translator's forum (not on ProZ.com. , that said they were searching for translators in many language combinations. There were no geographical restrictions listed.
I applied. Two days later I received a translation test from them.

The first two sections, idiom and grammatical questions, were easy and obvious.

The third section was a part from a movie that had to be translated into the target language. I was put at a disadvantage at this section.
Here I copy their comment about this section:

"The third section is usually completed with a video. However, since you don't have access to it, just translate to the best of your judgment."

In the fourth and final section, there were three extracts in English that had to be translated into Hungarian. No author was given.

I completed and returned the test in the prescribed time as instructed but added that without watching the video, the third section may not be precisely correct. (The Hungarian language is very different from the English language. There are both formal and informal styles, and without knowing the story or the characters that section may not be completed perfectly.)

After waiting two weeks without a response, I sent an e-mail to the company inquiring about the test results. Their reply was to be patient. They advised me that if I passed the test they would call me in ten working days and schedule an interview. (Don't call us, we'll call you.)

This surprised me because none of the personal information that they had requested included my phone number.

They asked for:
Name
Language

I did include that I was living in Hungary.

I was waiting for over a month and then sent two more emails to them asking the following questions.

Did they finish grading the tests?
Would they tell me the results?
Why wasn't I asked for my phone number?
Were there any geographical restrictions concerning the post/test, and if there were, why didn't they tell me when I applied?

As of today I have received no reply.

I would like to know have any other translators had a similar/different experience with this company.

Kind regards,
Kati
Collapse

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Hello, Kati! May 30, 2003

I also received a test like yours from Vitac about 2 months ago. Their email, in fact, was duplicated and for some reason I received the test twice but from different email addresses.

Anyway, I have been rather busy lately and didn't bother doing it - it was far too big for a test!

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Yelena, May 30, 2003

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Yes, indeed it was a long test.
It was interesting, though.
It was exciting to realize that the extracts they gave in the test, were from 2 famous authors:
Charles Dickens, and
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Anyway, I don't mind that I took this test; the thing that annoys me is negligence.

Kati

portilla
portilla  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I did it! May 30, 2003

I did that test and the same happened to me, never got an answer. The person I communicated with was Yelena Vdovichenko. What a coincidence with my colleague upstairs?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you have taken the Vitac (LA) test translation, what was your experience?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »