https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/19324-large_localization_project_how_to_manage_multiple_translators.html

Large Localization Project, how to manage multiple translators...
Thread poster: ssubo
ssubo
ssubo
English to Spanish
Mar 13, 2004

Hi everyone! How are you doing? I am new to this and I am trying to find a software to manage a very large translation project for a website. Several translators will be working on this project so I will need some kind of software that could keep track of the different versions, and the files that have been translated, and automatically dispatch the work to different translators depending on their efficiency. Is there anything like this available?

Many thanks for your help,
... See more
Hi everyone! How are you doing? I am new to this and I am trying to find a software to manage a very large translation project for a website. Several translators will be working on this project so I will need some kind of software that could keep track of the different versions, and the files that have been translated, and automatically dispatch the work to different translators depending on their efficiency. Is there anything like this available?

Many thanks for your help,

Ssubo
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Several alternatives... Mar 13, 2004

Hello and welcome.
I experienced several solutions for managing very large projects both on LANs and remote networks. Your translators work in house or in remote? Anyway I found that the best solutions is to develop on my own the core terminology, then I put the Trados translation memory database on the server, and we use as many Trados Team Edition licenses (the Team edition, not the Freelance one, otherwise the translators could not open the TM simultaneously) as we need, to access the d
... See more
Hello and welcome.
I experienced several solutions for managing very large projects both on LANs and remote networks. Your translators work in house or in remote? Anyway I found that the best solutions is to develop on my own the core terminology, then I put the Trados translation memory database on the server, and we use as many Trados Team Edition licenses (the Team edition, not the Freelance one, otherwise the translators could not open the TM simultaneously) as we need, to access the database. The translators use their workstations to simultaneously access the translations memory over the LAN in locale or over my VPN in remote, and translate the single files of the project. The TM assures the consistency of the whole project, and grows larger and more reliable as more tranlsation units are translated. Easy, isn't it?
For more information about the Trados corporate solutions go to http://www.trados.com/
Anyway the Team edition that I use has been replaced by other products like The Trados TM server and the Trados TM Power workbench.
Good luck

[Edited at 2004-03-13 16:42]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:37
German to Spanish
A possibility Mar 13, 2004

If you do not have a Team edition of Trados or another CAT Program.

With T.O.M.(Translator Office Manager, www.jovo-soft.de/) you can manage your translators.
And Word has a function to track different versions of a doc.

In spanish:

Archivo/Enviar a/Destinatario de distribuciĆ³n

So for example you can send a doc to several translator and you recibe only o
... See more
If you do not have a Team edition of Trados or another CAT Program.

With T.O.M.(Translator Office Manager, www.jovo-soft.de/) you can manage your translators.
And Word has a function to track different versions of a doc.

In spanish:

Archivo/Enviar a/Destinatario de distribuciĆ³n

So for example you can send a doc to several translator and you recibe only one back with all the changes (with different colors)inside.
Collapse

ssubo
ssubo
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It is a 2 million word website... Mar 14, 2004

Thanks for your help. I believe I am most concerned about how to assign different tasks to different translators and keep track of their progress, as with such a big website I feel lost when organizing the translation work schedule. I thought there was some kind of tool, spider-like, that analyzed the website and created sections our of it, like a tree diagram, to easily assign tasks. Do you know if there is such a tool?

Many thanks for your help!

Ssubo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large Localization Project, how to manage multiple translators...

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »