https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/187759-translating_converting_us_cv_into_german_lebenslauf.html?text=Translating%2FConverting%20US%20CV%20into%20German%20Lebenslauf%20%28Translation%20Theory%20and%20Practice%29

Translating/Converting US CV into German Lebenslauf
Thread poster: MNtranslates
MNtranslates
MNtranslates  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:49
English to German
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

Hello all,

I was asked to translate a CV, US style, into German. I am now a little unsure. Shall I only translated the document into German and keep the format? Or should I apply the German format for a Lebenslauf and request further necessary information from my client?

Your help is very appreciated! Thank you!

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Don't ask us Dec 16, 2010

Don't ask us, ask the client. Explain that there are numerous differences in format and content and ask them what they want you to do.

Do you know for what purpose they want to use the translation? Maybe the client doesn't even want to use the CV for an actual job application but just wants to include bilingual information on their website. In that case, I'm sure they don't want all that private information in it. Or they intend to hand in their English CV with a German translation
... See more
Don't ask us, ask the client. Explain that there are numerous differences in format and content and ask them what they want you to do.

Do you know for what purpose they want to use the translation? Maybe the client doesn't even want to use the CV for an actual job application but just wants to include bilingual information on their website. In that case, I'm sure they don't want all that private information in it. Or they intend to hand in their English CV with a German translation provided for convenience, so both documents should correspond in format and content 1:1.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating/Converting US CV into German Lebenslauf

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »