https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/118168-wordfast_slow_with_vista.html

wordfast slow with vista
Thread poster: koemi
koemi
koemi
English to Polish
Oct 16, 2008

I have Windows Vista Enterprise 2007 installed on my computer and for some reason it makes work on wordfast (Version 4.22t22) very slow. I would say that it is some three times slower than XP.
Has anybody had the same problem? And do you perhaps know what to do about it? Is it the question of wordfast or vista?

Thank you for all answers!

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:31
English to Czech
Install Wordfast 5.5 Oct 16, 2008

The Wordfast version you are using (4.22) dates back to June 2004, so it obviously can't run properly with Office 2007. The only advice I can offer is downloading and installing the latest Wordfast version.

Apart from that, if Wordfast seems slow on your machine, make sure your anti-virus software does not scan your TM times and again. Some AV programs (good ones) will scan any file any application reads or writes. If your TM is large, this can slow down Wordfast's operation noticea
... See more
The Wordfast version you are using (4.22) dates back to June 2004, so it obviously can't run properly with Office 2007. The only advice I can offer is downloading and installing the latest Wordfast version.

Apart from that, if Wordfast seems slow on your machine, make sure your anti-virus software does not scan your TM times and again. Some AV programs (good ones) will scan any file any application reads or writes. If your TM is large, this can slow down Wordfast's operation noticeably. My AV let me exclude my Wordfast TM from its real-time scanner, which help me.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Same Problem Oct 16, 2008

Since I use Vista (with McAfee total protection pre-installed) I cannot use Wordfast. Version 4.22 functions, but every time I close a segment the Word-window is put to the background. And I don't know how to tune McAfee, so I switched to Trados.
Regards
Heinrich

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Same problem Oct 16, 2008

I find Wordfast (vesion 5.1) excruciatingly slow in vista (with 2G RAM) and it's not my AGV antivirus that is slowing it down. I would be very grateful for someone's advice on how to speed it up. Sometimes I'm forced to save in txt format where Wf works faster and then reformat the whole text at the end.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Install Wordfast 5.3 Oct 16, 2008

NR_Stedman wrote:

I find Wordfast (vesion 5.1) excruciatingly slow in vista (with 2G RAM)

Again, I recommend installing Wordfast 5.3 (I'm sorry I mentioned version 5.5 in my earlier post - that's a beta version!), especially if you are using Word 2007. Updating Wordfast is free of charge for licensed users. The version you are using dates back to 2007, perhaps early 2007. And Wordfast's speed under Word 2007 kept improving in 2007.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you have a network with a shared printer? Oct 16, 2008

I know it sounds stupid, but just let me know. I discovered something rather stupid but critical for performance in networked Vista computers.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Some queries Oct 17, 2008

[quote]David Daduc wrote:
Again, I recommend installing Wordfast 5.3 (I'm sorry I mentioned version 5.5 in my earlier post - that's a beta version!), especially if you are using Word 2007. Updating Wordfast is free of charge for licensed users.
[quote]NR_Stedman wrote:

I will try to update today but I'm not sure how to get the 5.3 version as only the 5.5 version is available on the Wf site. What's wrong with this version?
Also updating Wf licence doesn't seem to be free after 3 years

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wordfast is not slow. It's about Vista performance. Oct 17, 2008

Remove Vista, install XP or, even better, 2000 and enjoy.

BTW, I don't notice any particular performance degradation with WF 5.5x / Word 2003 / Vista Home Basic. Maybe, it's about additional bells and whistles of Vista Enterprise?

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Where to download Oct 17, 2008

NR_Stedman wrote:

I will try to update today but I'm not sure how to get the 5.3 version as only the 5.5 version is available on the Wf site. What's wrong with this version?

To download Wordfast, go to http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=downloadpage

Currently, version 5.53 is available for download. Version 5.5 is a beta version, released for testing purposes. It's being tested and debugged and it will become the public version soon.

Also updating Wf licence doesn't seem to be free after 3 years

Yes, as I said, it's free of charge for licensed users. The Wordfast license agreement explains the details, see http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=agreement (it is a short, simple document, unlike most software agreements; I recommend reading it).

[Edited at 2008-10-17 05:57]

[Edited at 2008-10-17 05:57]

koemi
koemi
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
shared printer Oct 17, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I know it sounds stupid, but just let me know. I discovered something rather stupid but critical for performance in networked Vista computers.

I actually do... (and it doesn't sound 'stupid'!):-)

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I insist: do you have a network printer? Oct 17, 2008

koemi
koemi
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
network printer Oct 20, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Yes, it is a network printer

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vista and network printers - Not good friends! Oct 20, 2008

Ok. Now let's try something stupid I tried (and worked). After asking Microsoft and our local computer suppliers and finding no solution at all, I just tried this.

Now. It happens that, for some strange reason, Windows' network performance (and local performance too) slows down terribly if you have a network printer defined as a network printer. BUT: If you define it as a local printer with a network port, you will be fine. I don't understand it, but it is that way.

Goo
... See more
Ok. Now let's try something stupid I tried (and worked). After asking Microsoft and our local computer suppliers and finding no solution at all, I just tried this.

Now. It happens that, for some strange reason, Windows' network performance (and local performance too) slows down terribly if you have a network printer defined as a network printer. BUT: If you define it as a local printer with a network port, you will be fine. I don't understand it, but it is that way.

Good. As you have a network printer, it must have a network name, like "\\server\MyPrinter". If you don't know that name find out the name. It is the name with which you shared the printer in the network.

Try the following:
1. Delete the printer from Vista's Printers in the Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel, add a new printer (the usual way) BUT as the first step of the wizard, choose "Add a local printer"!!!!!!!. In the "Choose a printer port" screen, choose the "Create new port" option and in the list choose "Local port".

3. Now a "Port name" dialog box appears. There, write the printer's network name, \\MyServer\MyPrinter (with your server and printer name of course...).

Do the rest of the setup as usual.

Let us know what happens!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wordfast not slow at all on Vista Oct 22, 2008

I don't know what I had been doing wrong, but now I got Wf installed on my new Vista laptop, got a new license-number, reorganised the tm and Wf is very much faster now than on my old XP-laptop.
But the relicensing is not very easy. You absolutely need the install-number from you original invoice when logging in. So always print your invoices for later use (I fortunately had saved the emails from 2006 and could retrieve the number).

Regards
Heinrich

koemi
koemi
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
one way to make it work Oct 24, 2008

Thank you all for your help!
In the end the only way that helped was downgrading Office to the 2003 version. It is much faster though there are some problems with excel files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast slow with vista

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »