https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/48269-is_wordfast_totally_compatible_with_trados_65_and_with_mac_os_x_tiger.html

Is Wordfast totally compatible with Trados 6.5? and with MAc OS X Tiger?
Thread poster: valfrhg
valfrhg
valfrhg
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
May 26, 2006

Hello,

I’m using Trados 6.5 right now, but since I have a Mac I use it with an emulator, which requires a lot of extra RAM. I’m going to buy a new Mac Pro laptop and would need double the RAM (or 500 dollars more) to run Trados on Windows on my Mac, so I’m thinking of switching to Wordfast.
Did any of you have any problems running Wordfast with Mac OS X Tiger? What is the compatibility level of Wordfast with Trados 6.5 for TMs, etc? Does Wordfast offer an equivalent of
... See more
Hello,

I’m using Trados 6.5 right now, but since I have a Mac I use it with an emulator, which requires a lot of extra RAM. I’m going to buy a new Mac Pro laptop and would need double the RAM (or 500 dollars more) to run Trados on Windows on my Mac, so I’m thinking of switching to Wordfast.
Did any of you have any problems running Wordfast with Mac OS X Tiger? What is the compatibility level of Wordfast with Trados 6.5 for TMs, etc? Does Wordfast offer an equivalent of the Trados module called TagEditor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Val
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast and OS X May 26, 2006

I've used wordfast in Word for Mac and OSX. Although it runs without problems most of time, I've found that if something happens and the beachball appears, if you force your way out of it, your work file will be wiped out, and you will not be able to recover it (and it's a tragedy when you are just finishing a 200-pages job).

About compatibility, you can export your TM and import it in Trados without problems.

[Editado a las 2006-05-26 17:07]

Ana Jimenez H.
Ana Jimenez H.  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
New to CAT and always MAC Jul 2, 2006

Hello Fellow Mac Users....

I am very interested in hearing your opinions about using Trados on a Mac. When you installed it in your computer, did you have to use a dongle? Are you using Virtual PC? What about Wordfast? Is it a similar software to TRADOS?

I would really like to hear your experience, suggestions and advice. I am about to begin using transaltion software and am not at all willing to switch Mac for PC. SInce TRADOS is supposed to be the leading soft
... See more
Hello Fellow Mac Users....

I am very interested in hearing your opinions about using Trados on a Mac. When you installed it in your computer, did you have to use a dongle? Are you using Virtual PC? What about Wordfast? Is it a similar software to TRADOS?

I would really like to hear your experience, suggestions and advice. I am about to begin using transaltion software and am not at all willing to switch Mac for PC. SInce TRADOS is supposed to be the leading software for translators, and Mac my favorite system, I would like to be able to get the most of both...

Thanks a lot!
Ana
Collapse

valfrhg
valfrhg
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Emulators work well with Trados Jul 2, 2006

Hi Ana,

Yes I use Trados with Virtual PC on my Mac, and yes I use a dongle, but as someone mentioned responding to my question, it seems newer versions of Trados (post 6.5) don’t use a dongle anymore. With the new Mac Intel macs (Macbook Pro, MacBook…), you can use the Parallels emulator, as I’m sure you’re aware of being a Mac fan, which is practically as fast as the Intel Mac itself. Trados has some more features, which I don’t use – like winalign -, but which are abse
... See more
Hi Ana,

Yes I use Trados with Virtual PC on my Mac, and yes I use a dongle, but as someone mentioned responding to my question, it seems newer versions of Trados (post 6.5) don’t use a dongle anymore. With the new Mac Intel macs (Macbook Pro, MacBook…), you can use the Parallels emulator, as I’m sure you’re aware of being a Mac fan, which is practically as fast as the Intel Mac itself. Trados has some more features, which I don’t use – like winalign -, but which are absent from Wordsfast, which is however cheaper. Hope this helps.

Val
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Wordfast totally compatible with Trados 6.5? and with MAc OS X Tiger?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »