https://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E/8773-localization_tricks.html

Localization tricks
Thread poster: sandhya_k
sandhya_k
sandhya_k
Local time: 12:36
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 21, 2003

Do we all agree that localization is just not translation? In order to comply with the clients requirements and deliver exactly what he is looking for (for example, in terms of a software application), how can we make sure that the language used during localization is what the clients are looking for...does it entail indepth knowledge of product being developed along with knowledge of existing similar products in their market? In such a case isn\'t it a tough job to do with a lot of trial and er... See more
Do we all agree that localization is just not translation? In order to comply with the clients requirements and deliver exactly what he is looking for (for example, in terms of a software application), how can we make sure that the language used during localization is what the clients are looking for...does it entail indepth knowledge of product being developed along with knowledge of existing similar products in their market? In such a case isn\'t it a tough job to do with a lot of trial and errors?Collapse

bd2016
bd2016
United States
Local time: 13:36
English to Japanese
I agree with you Mar 27, 2003

I totally agree with you.

That is why communication with clients is important.

In addition, we need to do a lots of research about the subject product that you have no idea what it is and how it works.

Usually we can\'t see actual machines, parts or software.

But in some level you need to give up to understand 100% about the item since it is impossible or because you have time-constraint. Experience helps a lot to deal with these problems.... See more

I totally agree with you.

That is why communication with clients is important.

In addition, we need to do a lots of research about the subject product that you have no idea what it is and how it works.

Usually we can\'t see actual machines, parts or software.

But in some level you need to give up to understand 100% about the item since it is impossible or because you have time-constraint. Experience helps a lot to deal with these problems.

Quote:

On 2003-02-21 07:01, sandhya_k wrote:

Do we all agree that localization is just not translation? In order to comply with the clients requirements and deliver exactly what he is looking for (for example, in terms of a software application), how can we make sure that the language used during localization is what the clients are looking for...does it entail indepth knowledge of product being developed along with knowledge of existing similar products in their market? In such a case isn\'t it a tough job to do with a lot of trial and errors?

Collapse

sandhya_k
sandhya_k
Local time: 12:36
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Noriko san Mar 28, 2003

I have realized that localization is a tough job and would want to do full justice to my job henceforth by accumulating as much knowledge about the product as possible before starting the job.

[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization tricks

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »