https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/122689-poll%3A_in_the_last_5_years_your_income_from_translation_work_has_been.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In the last 5 years, your income from translation work has been...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 9, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In the last 5 years, your income from translation work has been...".

This poll was originally submitted by Giuseppina Gatta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informa
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In the last 5 years, your income from translation work has been...".

This poll was originally submitted by Giuseppina Gatta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:42
German to English
+ ...
Other Dec 9, 2008

I had to vote "other" as it's hard for me to define a pattern. I have only been translating on a regular basis for the past two years. During that time my income has fluctuated quite a bit, although I have seen an increase in the last couple of months. It's hard to say whether this is a general upward trend or whether it's just part of the fluctuations.

Rebecca Lowery
Rebecca Lowery  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:42
French to English
Increasing Dec 9, 2008

Although I have noticed a slow-down over the last couple of months - credit crunch maybe? Has anyone else noticed this?

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Three factors Dec 9, 2008

I attribute my upward trend to three factors: greater capacity (includes both customer diversification and repeat business), greater operating efficiency, favorable exchange rate.

I suppose the next steps are a more profitable customer mix, hope for an even more favorable exchange rate, scope out into more profitable businesses, or be satisfied with what I have.

Linda Ildevert (X)
Linda Ildevert (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:42
French to English
Increasing but recent slowdown Dec 9, 2008

Like Rebecca, my income has been growing steadily, but I have noticed a definite downturn this year, especially in Q4.
Could this be to do with the language pair? Most of my jobs are sourced in France...

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:42
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Increasing Dec 9, 2008

However, for the last couple of months I've seen a decline in the number of offers I'm getting, specially from new clients.

This hasn't bothered me so far as I've been busy working on several very large projects and am booked solid for the next couple of weeks.

I won't really know for sure until after the holidays, but I hope my income will not be affected by this credit crunch.

Cheers!

Emmanuelle De Bolle (X)
Emmanuelle De Bolle (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Other Dec 9, 2008

I started working as a freelance two years ago. But I have also noticed a slow-down over the last couple of months.

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 23:42
English to French
steadily growing... Dec 9, 2008

..however, nothing's sure for the next year. Many projects were one shot deals and I don't know if those clients will have the same needs in 2009.

[Modifié le 2008-12-09 19:29 GMT]

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Too short to say Dec 9, 2008

Started a year and a half ago. Steep increase of work and income until last couple of months, when it has been noticeably slower.
We'll see what happens, but fluctuations are to be expected, I suppose.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stable, but... Dec 9, 2008

effectively being eroded by inflation.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:42
French to Spanish
+ ...
2008... Dec 9, 2008

...best year for me since 2003... more work with old clients, new clients coming up... it's going well.

Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hope it is the credit crunch Dec 9, 2008

Rebecca Lowery wrote:

Although I have noticed a slow-down over the last couple of months - credit crunch maybe? Has anyone else noticed this?

My business was increasing, to the point where I was hiring others to help me complete work, and then, about two months ago, it contracted seriously... I do hope it is the credit crunch. I had new clients, large projects, and these have dwindled... I have been thinking of writing a letter to some of my clients and offering a temporary rate reduction...

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Growing steadily... Dec 9, 2008

...in the last 5 years, a little bit slowing down in the last 2 months though...

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:12
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Growing by leaps and bounds Dec 10, 2008

I have been in translation and creative writing for more than two decades. I discovered the international translation market a few years ago when internet connectivity improved in India and I got my first phone-based dial-up connection (which has now been upgraded to a fast broadband connection, in fact two of them, for redundancy).

I ran into proz.com accidentally while surfing the internet and registered myself there tentatively. But that proved to be a turning point. I am an argu
... See more
I have been in translation and creative writing for more than two decades. I discovered the international translation market a few years ago when internet connectivity improved in India and I got my first phone-based dial-up connection (which has now been upgraded to a fast broadband connection, in fact two of them, for redundancy).

I ran into proz.com accidentally while surfing the internet and registered myself there tentatively. But that proved to be a turning point. I am an argumentative person and was soon embroiled in many proz.com forum discussions (and also kudoz), in many of which I came away with egg on my face. But this cantakerousness did get me noticed, for soon I was getting translation jobs from international clients.

It didn't take me long to become a paid member and I took advantage of the combo offer of proz.com membership and trados package. This gave a further boost to my translation earnings.

Along with it I also contributed to the localization of the site into Hindi and became the Team Leader of the Hindi Team. The site reciprocated by giving me three years of free membership and increased exposure on its site.

All this has helped, plus I have always been an excellent translator in my language pair in which I have professional qualification.

My main income comes from international jobs. It is three years since I appeared on the international translation job market as an English-Hindi translator, and I have not reached a pleateau yet in my earnings, let alone a downhill.

I felt so reassured by my earnings through free-lance translation that I was able to take the decision this year to quit a regular job that I had been holding for two decades and plunge into full-time freelancing.

But the real test will be 2009, for obvious reasons.

[2008-12-10 03:27 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]
Collapse

Ingeborg Aalders
Ingeborg Aalders
Netherlands
French to Dutch
+ ...
Slow down as well Dec 10, 2008

I started as a full time translater only last year, and have been working like mad until August, but like most of you, things have been slowing down since then. Especially the French part of my translation work has gone way down, English is slower as well, but thank God, there's still enough work there.

Fingers crossed for 2009!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In the last 5 years, your income from translation work has been...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »