https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/14511-profile_messages_wrongly_used_to_advertise_translation_services.html

Profile messages wrongly used to advertise translation services
Thread poster: Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2003

I have recently received messages sent through the directory offering translation services from platinum members. At first I was surprised, thinking that these people had me mixed up with an agency, then I realized that these fellow freelancers had sent their messages to 100 members at a time. We are all freelancers, almost all looking for projects to work on, so why not spend time writing to agencies instead of each other? There are rules for sending messages via profiles that have obviously... See more
I have recently received messages sent through the directory offering translation services from platinum members. At first I was surprised, thinking that these people had me mixed up with an agency, then I realized that these fellow freelancers had sent their messages to 100 members at a time. We are all freelancers, almost all looking for projects to work on, so why not spend time writing to agencies instead of each other? There are rules for sending messages via profiles that have obviously not been noticed or read by these fellow translators. Please take note of the rules and maybe concentrate on writing to agencies listed on the Blueboard!

"Rules for Sending Messages via Profiles

Messages sent via profile messages may not include:

advertising of any product or service, including one's own translation services

offensive or personal remarks

Failure to observe these regulations may result in the removal of your right to use profile messaging, or your removal from the site altogether (without regard to your membership status.)

Note that when you send an email via a profile page, your email address and IP address will be disclosed to the recipient."

Gayle
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Georgian to English
+ ...
Rules for using the "send a message to 100 colleagues" feature. Sep 27, 2003

Very much to Gayle's point:

"What is a "group mail"?

As a platinum member, you can send 'group mails' to up to 100 colleagues.

To do so, use the 'search for pros' option to select a group that meets certain parameters (for example, language pair, credentials, areas of expertise, etc.) Then click "compose" in the yellow box marked 'Group Mail'. Your message will be sent to up to 100 people who met your criteria.

You can imagine many uses for this: finding someone to help you on a project, starting a team, etc. The function is not to be used for sales, though. "

FAQ
http://www.proz.com/?sp=faq

It is something that should be used when there is a reasonable chance that the recipient and sender might both find it useful, and as it says, is expressly not for sales.

[Edited at 2003-09-27 11:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile messages wrongly used to advertise translation services

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »