https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/88205-separate_premium_jobs_from_project_connect.html

Separate Premium Jobs from Project Connect
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:39
English to French
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

I have always thought that Premium Jobs and Project Connect are two separate things. One means to offer serious jobs to serious professionals, the other is a way for outsourcers to keep track of their candidates and efficiently recruit them (whether there is a job available is not a criterion).

I got a message today with the title ProZ Premium Jobs - and it was a Project Connect message only asking me to fill out a form to be used for a database so that maybe, just maybe sometime du
... See more
I have always thought that Premium Jobs and Project Connect are two separate things. One means to offer serious jobs to serious professionals, the other is a way for outsourcers to keep track of their candidates and efficiently recruit them (whether there is a job available is not a criterion).

I got a message today with the title ProZ Premium Jobs - and it was a Project Connect message only asking me to fill out a form to be used for a database so that maybe, just maybe sometime during my lifetime, I get a contract from the outsourcer. This request is anything but a Premium Job. Couldn't be farther.

I read that e-mail because it said Premium Job. Waste of time - there is no job behind that e-mail. I am not interested in such "offers". So, my question to ProZ is: can we please dissociate Premium Jobs from Project Connect? They are two totally different things, and I imagine many of us are interested in one but not in the other, or vice versa.

Thanks!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:39
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Waste of time - there is no job behind that e-mail. Nov 1, 2007

+ - count me in

[Urejeno ob 2007-11-01 19:11]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
PROZ BUG Nov 1, 2007

I consider it a bug in the proz software, I received about 12 of these messages in the last 2 hours. If this goes on like this, I'll disable this wonderful opportunity.

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here Nov 1, 2007

I have received 14 of these messages today, all coming from the same agency. This is turning into a real nuisance.

Claudia

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:39
Member (2007)
English to Russian
17 and counting Nov 1, 2007

I'm starting to get annoyed.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:39
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
I second it Nov 1, 2007

Me too, I also thought ProConnect was about the premium jobs and clients. Unfortunately, not so.

My first experience with it (not so long ago) was a short message:

`Are you available for a small XXX word translation job?
Please advise ASAP and if interested please sign the attached NDA and fax or email back to me so I can send you the files.
By the way, do you accept PayPal payments?'

As a professional and honest guy, I replied that yes, I was a
... See more
Me too, I also thought ProConnect was about the premium jobs and clients. Unfortunately, not so.

My first experience with it (not so long ago) was a short message:

`Are you available for a small XXX word translation job?
Please advise ASAP and if interested please sign the attached NDA and fax or email back to me so I can send you the files.
By the way, do you accept PayPal payments?'

As a professional and honest guy, I replied that yes, I was available, but I cannot accept PayPal, and no NDA was attached just because the Pro Connect didn't support attaching files.

Some minutes later I received a direct email which stated:

`we paypal
what are your rates.
Please send back signed ASAP' - with an NDA file attached.

I said I was not going to sign anything until I saw the work at hand and other goodies, like a nice feedback at the Blue Board. I'm not sure if they are `paypal' or not, but somehow I felt suspicious.

Then I stated that translators are humans too and probably deserve some kind of respect as human beings. The reply was:

`we are unfortunately very busy and my style of communication can be
terse. it's by no means of disrespect.'

I stopped communicating at this point. I still feel like a human being, and now I just wonder why Pro Connect & Great Premium Ever Ads are not checked by a site moderator before spitting it out right to the face of our community...

[Edited at 2007-11-01 19:26]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Duplicate messages should have stopped, sorry for the inconvenience Nov 1, 2007

Hello everyone,

Some of you have received more than one message from the same outsourcer seeking to add you to their database. These duplicate messages should have stopped now.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will make some changes to the system to help prevent problems like this from recurring in the future.

I have spoken to the outsourcer in question. They are proud of their good reputation among translators and they do not want to do anything to j
... See more
Hello everyone,

Some of you have received more than one message from the same outsourcer seeking to add you to their database. These duplicate messages should have stopped now.

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will make some changes to the system to help prevent problems like this from recurring in the future.

I have spoken to the outsourcer in question. They are proud of their good reputation among translators and they do not want to do anything to jeopardize it. They regret that they may have inconvenienced anyone, and have assured me that they will reply to everyone who responded to their inquiry (but only once!)

We are taking steps to prevent this from happening again. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Viktoria, please forward me the Premium Jobs email you received Nov 1, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I got a message today with the title ProZ Premium Jobs - and it was a Project Connect message only asking me to fill out a form to be used for a database so that maybe, just maybe sometime during my lifetime, I get a contract from the outsourcer. This request is anything but a Premium Job. Couldn't be farther.

Hi Viktoria,

Please forward the premium jobs email message you received to me at [email protected] -- if you receive a premium job posting that you feel should not be marked as such, we definitely want to know about it.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Only some Connect jobs are marked as "premium jobs" Nov 1, 2007

Kirill Semenov wrote:
I also thought ProConnect was about the premium jobs and clients. Unfortunately, not so.

Hi Kirill,

Connect gives outsourcers the opportunity to differentiate their best jobs by marking them as "premium" jobs, and it is possible to choose to receive notification only of these premium jobs. However, not all Connect jobs are "premium".

If you have complaints about any communication you receive via ProZ.com Connect, please let us know by submitting a support ticket, and we will follow up with the outsourcer. It is in outsourcers' interests to maintain a good image in the ProZ.com community, if they are going to attract the best translators.

Best regards,

Jason

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:39
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
No complains Nov 1, 2007

Jason Grimes wrote:
If you have complaints about any communication you receive via ProZ.com Connect, please let us know by submitting a support ticket, and we will follow up with the outsourcer. It is in outsourcers' interests to maintain a good image in the ProZ.com community, if they are going to attract the best translators.

Of course, no complains here, Jason, I cannot charge anyone for being not as polite as I expect. No reasons to go to court. I just said that probably site moderators might check those `premium' jobs before they shoot it out, because for a while the `premium' lable works against ProZ.com itself as a proved trademark.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, how about it? Nov 2, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

So, my question to ProZ is: can we please dissociate Premium Jobs from Project Connect? They are two totally different things, and I imagine many of us are interested in one but not in the other, or vice versa.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Premium jobs can be tracked separately from other Connect jobs Nov 3, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

So, my question to ProZ is: can we please dissociate Premium Jobs from Project Connect? They are two totally different things, and I imagine many of us are interested in one but not in the other, or vice versa.

Hi Viktoria,

Premium jobs can be tracked separately from Connect--most jobs that pass through Connect are not labeled as "premium".

There was a technical glitch that caused the headers of some email notifications to be from "ProZ.com Premium Jobs", which probably caused some confusion about this point. I apologize for that error, which should be corrected now.

Thank you for letting us know if you ever see a job labeled as "premium" that you feel should not be.

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Separate Premium Jobs from Project Connect

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »