https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/40143-universities_with_a_department_for_esl_in_holland.html

Universities with a department for ESL in Holland
Thread poster: A.Đapo
A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 20:21
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Dec 11, 2005

One of my students, after he finishes this grammar school in July, will go to Holland and he would like to study English and English literature there.
Can you help me find universities with English department?
I tested them recently (CAE), and his score was high. 79%.

Thank you

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Where in Holland? Dec 11, 2005

Hi Amra,

do you know where in Holland your pupil is going to? Or does he want to base his choice of location on the university?

I think you can assume that every university in Holland that has a Humanities/Arts faculty will also have English as part of it. And I think it's only the technical universities that don't have Humanities.

Some of the towns that have a university are Amsterdam, Leiden, Groningen, Nijmegen, Tilburg, Maastricht, Rotterdam, Utrecht,
... See more
Hi Amra,

do you know where in Holland your pupil is going to? Or does he want to base his choice of location on the university?

I think you can assume that every university in Holland that has a Humanities/Arts faculty will also have English as part of it. And I think it's only the technical universities that don't have Humanities.

Some of the towns that have a university are Amsterdam, Leiden, Groningen, Nijmegen, Tilburg, Maastricht, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Delft.

I don't know if you or your pupil understand Dutch, but here's a page with links to a number of the unis: http://universiteiten.pagina.nl/

A more relevant question could be if the quality offered is the same everywhere. Some of them will probably be better at literature while others at linguistics.

Another question is in what status your pupil will want to study in Holland. As an international student or will he have a Dutch residence permit? Because the acceptance conditions may vary, I think.
In 2000 I wanted to continue my English studies in Holland, I had a residence permit, so I would enrol as a regular Dutch student, but I wasn't Dutch. I hadn't decided whether I'd go to the University of Amsterdam (UvA) or the Free University in Amsterdam (VU), and they both wanted me to have different exams: one of them wanted the Dutch national language exam of the highest level (NT2), and the other (I think the UvA) wanted a certain minimum score on TOEFL! Which was really silly, as I had studied English three years at university...Anyway, I passed both exams and enrolled at the UvA in the end, due to practical reasons.

I hope this helps to some degree.

[Edited at 2005-12-11 14:14]
Collapse

A.Đapo
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Zsanett Dec 11, 2005

"Where in Holland?"
I forgot the name of the town, where he is suppose to stay. i will ask. He is planning to stay with his relatives so he needs to find some uni close to that town.

"A more relevant question could be if the quality offered is the same everywhere. Some of them will probably be better at literature while others at linguistics."
He is more interested in linguistics and ESL methodology so that is also something that should be taken into consideration. ... See more
"Where in Holland?"
I forgot the name of the town, where he is suppose to stay. i will ask. He is planning to stay with his relatives so he needs to find some uni close to that town.

"A more relevant question could be if the quality offered is the same everywhere. Some of them will probably be better at literature while others at linguistics."
He is more interested in linguistics and ESL methodology so that is also something that should be taken into consideration.

You helped a lot. Now I have some idea where to start looking.
Thank you.
Amra
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
about Leiden... Dec 11, 2005

Hi Amra,
I studied in Leiden (Italian, Dutch and Literary Sciences) and I'm not very enthousiastic about the language departments... a friend of mine studied English there and I got the impression that the level of education wasn't very high. I knew another girl who went to Amsterdam to finish her English studies over there because she wasn't satisfied with the education in Leiden (and she was English). But the city is very nice and there are a lot of activities for students.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:21
German to English
Studying English in the Netherlands Dec 11, 2005

Hi Amra,
I can't understand why someone would want to go to the Netherlands to study English. If your student's main goal is to study English, why not study English in the UK? I'm certainly not an expert in opportunities for foreign students to study English in England, but here's one link yo
... See more
Hi Amra,
I can't understand why someone would want to go to the Netherlands to study English. If your student's main goal is to study English, why not study English in the UK? I'm certainly not an expert in opportunities for foreign students to study English in England, but here's one link you might investigate.

http://www.studyuk.hobsons.com/clientecctis.jsp?id=346§ion=contact&courseid=256071
Collapse

A.Đapo
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
his relatives live in Holland Dec 11, 2005

Hello Kim
The reason why he would go there is that his relatives (his father's brother and his family) live there. They want him to come there for a year or two and go to uni there.
Thank you for the link. It may be helpful for my other students.

Thank you Maaike. I will tell him about your and your friend's
experience. it may help him to decide.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Make sure your pupil keeps in regular contact Dec 12, 2005

with his/her relatives in the UK.

I studied English at the University of Amsterdam in the late sixties/early seventies ('drs.' in 1974, the old system where you could still take eight years to graduate, and the Dutch army was still breathing down your neck to make sure you did) and some of my teachers had fairly heavy Dutch accents.

In my first year we had a special class in English idiom. I dropped out of the class (and from then on studied idioms through British news
... See more
with his/her relatives in the UK.

I studied English at the University of Amsterdam in the late sixties/early seventies ('drs.' in 1974, the old system where you could still take eight years to graduate, and the Dutch army was still breathing down your neck to make sure you did) and some of my teachers had fairly heavy Dutch accents.

In my first year we had a special class in English idiom. I dropped out of the class (and from then on studied idioms through British newspapers and the dictionaries) when one of the idoms we were seriously supposed to learn was "Kidneys for breakfast! How topping!"

They probably (hopefully) don't use that book any more.
Collapse

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Does accent matter? Dec 15, 2005

Benno Groeneveld wrote:

Well I can tell you that some of the people at the UvA still had thick accents in 2004, when I graduated. But does accent really matter? I don't think so. Although I understand the instinctive reaction when you don't get a native-like pronunciation. But a lot of these people are nevertheless very good at their own fields and they speak English perfectly fine, it's just not possible for everybody to acquire a native accent. I personally don't mind having a professor with an accent as long as he or she can explain the subject matter properly. Anyway, this is a whole different discussion, I just wanted to say this. (:

Amra, if he's interested in ELT, I can very much recommend Prof. Jan Hulstijn at the UvA. He was the supervisor tutor when I wrote my MA thesis, in the field of applied linguistics. He's one of the best professors I've ever had, and he's a widely known applied linguist, internationally as well as in Holland. You can find his profile here: http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/j.h.hulstijn/
I think it might be a good idea to send him an email - he'll know which universities have the good ELT departments. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you search further. Feel free to say I recommended him to you. (:

Good luck!

A.Đapo
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Zsanett Dec 17, 2005

you have been a great help.
I will write to the professor.
Thanx a lot
Amra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Universities with a department for ESL in Holland

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »