https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/118889-what_film_would_you_choose.html

Off topic: What film would you choose?
Thread poster: n.dematteis
n.dematteis
n.dematteis
Germany
Local time: 12:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

My dissertation will be focused on dubbing and translation. I need to analyse a Woody Allen film so I'm asking you: which one do you think is the most interesting from a translator's point of view? I should focus on issues relating to language rather than culture, otherwise I would have to write a thousand pages...
Thank you in advance...

Michelle Plaistow
Michelle Plaistow  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The most interesting Nov 20, 2008

You should definitely choose whichever is the most interesting for you, first and foremost! Unless you have any specific favourite, or one that you know holds lots of cultural references or metaphor or whatever. Or even better, whichever one you can get a hold of easily. Believe me - I am having HUGE problems getting my dissertation corpus!

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably in
... See more
You should definitely choose whichever is the most interesting for you, first and foremost! Unless you have any specific favourite, or one that you know holds lots of cultural references or metaphor or whatever. Or even better, whichever one you can get a hold of easily. Believe me - I am having HUGE problems getting my dissertation corpus!

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably intertwined?
Collapse

Verse 5B (X)
Verse 5B (X)
English to Serbian
+ ...
,,, Nov 21, 2008

pinkymp wrote:

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably intertwined?

Perhaps he needs to focus on the language that the author used in his script? That could be " language aspect of a movie"

We all know Woodie Allen is also a script writer, besides being a director and actor.

And a quite good writer..

[Edited at 2008-11-21 09:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What film would you choose?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »