https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/259823-royalities_for_literary_translation_international_intellectual_property_law.html

Royalities For Literary Translation/International Intellectual Property Law
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2013

Hello,

Although I have done my share of book translations for various clients over the years, I have always been compensated for my work with a flat fee or per word rate.

Now, a new client has asked me to translate a memoir that is over 93,000 words long. He wants to know what percentage I want to earn off the annual sales of his original work, so that the requirements of International Intellectual Property Law can be satisfied.

We are going to draw up a fo
... See more
Hello,

Although I have done my share of book translations for various clients over the years, I have always been compensated for my work with a flat fee or per word rate.

Now, a new client has asked me to translate a memoir that is over 93,000 words long. He wants to know what percentage I want to earn off the annual sales of his original work, so that the requirements of International Intellectual Property Law can be satisfied.

We are going to draw up a formal contract in this instance.

Is there a standard percentage amount in this kind of instance? If so, what would it be?

Thanks,

Barbara
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Royalities For Literary Translation/International Intellectual Property Law

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »