https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/209632-wrong_use_of_the_abbreviation_%22ie%22.html

Wrong use of the abbreviation "i.e."
Thread poster: Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

As a translator, you get used to all kinds of linguistic errors in the source text, but one error in particular bothers me: Often the abbreviation "i.e." ("id est" or "that is") is used when the writer quite obviously means "e.g." ("exempli gratia" or "for example"). Have others noticed this and does this mistake occur often?

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
More recently Oct 11, 2011

Yes, I had a couple of texts just the other week where this occurred.
It was very confusing at times and really annoying.

I don't know if there is a growing tendency to make this mistake, but I really hope not!

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, Oct 11, 2011

and I also observed in some texts the use of e.g. when, obviously, it should be used i.e.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Illegitimum non carborundum Oct 11, 2011

Aegroto dum anima est, spes est.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
All the time Oct 11, 2011

I see this mistake all the time, even made by educated people, but it doesn't particularly bother me. I suppose for people who never learned Latin, the abbreviations have no meaning and it's hard to remember which is which.

Latin is one of the most useful things I learned in High School, as a base for learning other languages, translating, and writing, and also in many other aspects of life.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 18:54 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oatmeal Oct 11, 2011

There are some nice comics here:

http://theoatmeal.com/tag/grammar

One of them deals with "i.e.": http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Oct 11, 2011

It happens very often. We just have to be attentive.

Paula Serrano
Paula Serrano  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Funny... Oct 11, 2011

The text I am translating at the moment has that exact problem... I find it extremely annoying.

I have also corrected many translations where the original was correct, but the translators who did not know the difference. Perhaps even more annoying (I have very high expectations of the work of my colleagues...).

Paula

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Latin? Oct 11, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I see this mistake all the time, even made by educated people, but it doesn't particularly bother me. I suppose for people who never learned Latin, the abbreviations have no meaning and it's hard to remember which is which.

Latin is one of the most useful things I learned in High School, as a base for learning other languages, translating, and writing, and also in many other aspects of life.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 18:54 GMT]

I have no idea of latin, but know what "i.e." and "e.g." means, just from the letters.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
True colours Oct 12, 2011

By their lexicon shall ye know them.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Unnecessary... Oct 12, 2011

Perhaps more irritating is the combination of eg and etc.
Ie, since eg refers to examples the etc is unnecessary.

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
German to English
Increasingly common I find Oct 12, 2011

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
Have others noticed this and does this mistake occur often?

Why do I notice it? Not really sure, but perhaps there are more instances of e.g. in daily life than i.e., hence the incorrect usages are more numerous and noticeable. To make a massive generalisation, I think it's the kind of error that's brought on by pomposity, so it's more to be pitied than deplored.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
To avoid confusion, Oct 12, 2011

when editing I generally write them out: "for example" ( or sometimes "such as") for e.g., and "that is" for i.e. And I agree with George: when you write "for example" and give an example (or 2), adding "etc." is unnecessary.

[Edited at 2011-10-12 12:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong use of the abbreviation "i.e."

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »