Irina Nesterenko
Irina Nesterenko  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Local time: 19:37
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2007

Hi Everyone! Yesterday there was a big earthquake in Peru , so far 450 victims, and God knows how many people left homeless and having lost their loved ones. I've been thinking what I personally could do to help those people.
Peruvians are predominantly poor, and all this destruction, loosing homes would be irrecoverable for some. We, translators, are part of the world community, we work to bring all parts of the world closer, to understanding. and as part thereof, the trouble of one cou
... See more
Hi Everyone! Yesterday there was a big earthquake in Peru , so far 450 victims, and God knows how many people left homeless and having lost their loved ones. I've been thinking what I personally could do to help those people.
Peruvians are predominantly poor, and all this destruction, loosing homes would be irrecoverable for some. We, translators, are part of the world community, we work to bring all parts of the world closer, to understanding. and as part thereof, the trouble of one country is a trouble of the overall world community. and ours is manyfold. So I thought that if each of us could contribute something to help those people - overall it Would make a difference to them. I don't know where this help should be directed to - maybe somebody's got any ideas.. but I hope there will be people to support mine.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-17 20:31]

I've got a contact from a friend of mine who's involved in helping victims there:

Agency CARITAS from Catholic Church opened for that objective one bank account to do your donatives:

Donatives from foreigner residents:

Bank: Banco de Credito del PerЗ
Adress: Calles Centenario 156 La Molina - Lima PerЗ
Account: 193-1586951-1-16 (US Dollars)
SWIFT: BCPLPEPL
Name: CARITAS DEL PERU

Further information calling to +51(1) 613-5205

Also you could call to SOLIDARITY IN ACTION ( www.solidarityinaction.org) or contact them by phone to: (511)261-5468

Donativos del Exterior:
Banco: Banco de Credito del PerЗ
DirecciСn: Calles Centenario 156 La Molina - Lima PerЗ
Cuenta: 193-1586951-1-16 (DСlares)
SWIFT: BCPLPEPL
Nombre: CARITAS DEL PERU
Las donaciones estАn siendo recibidas en los Almacenes de CАritas del PerЗ, ubicado en Calle OmicrСn 492, Parque Industrial- Callao (alt. cdra. 58 de la Av. Colonial).

TelИfono: 613-5205 o bien pueden ponerse en contacto con SOLIDARIDAD EN MARCHA en Lima al 261-5468

[Edited at 2007-08-17 21:19]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:37
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

A posting recommendation Aug 17, 2007

From the ProZ.com Scope, concerning the discussion of natural disasters, an "off topic" subject:

When disasters occur, members are encouraged to post information related to relief efforts being coordinated by recognized and trustworthy organizations in their areas. For example, if an earthquake has occurred somewhere in the world, a member in Spain may wish to post information related to methods of volunteering or donating, via reputable organizations, from within Spain.

... See more
From the ProZ.com Scope, concerning the discussion of natural disasters, an "off topic" subject:

When disasters occur, members are encouraged to post information related to relief efforts being coordinated by recognized and trustworthy organizations in their areas. For example, if an earthquake has occurred somewhere in the world, a member in Spain may wish to post information related to methods of volunteering or donating, via reputable organizations, from within Spain.

Note the following:
- Postings related to natural disasters must be labeled "off topic".
- Postings made under the topic of a natural disaster that contain political commentary will be removed without regard to the opinion expressed.
- Postings that propose private coordination of relief efforts will be removed without regard to the author.
http://www.proz.com/scope
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic Aug 17, 2007

Hi Irina,

In addition to Yolanda's explanations, please note that I have moved your thread to the Off Topic forum, since it is not related to translation.

As explained by Yolanda, private coordination efforts are not allowed on Proz.com forums, but colleagues might want to post links to international relief organizations coordinating such efforts. These are the related pa
... See more
Hi Irina,

In addition to Yolanda's explanations, please note that I have moved your thread to the Off Topic forum, since it is not related to translation.

As explained by Yolanda, private coordination efforts are not allowed on Proz.com forums, but colleagues might want to post links to international relief organizations coordinating such efforts. These are the related pages of the American Red Cross and Oxfam.

I want to offer my condolences to the people of Peru, as well as those affected in Chile and Bolivia. And I am hoping that the death toll won't increase and relief and recovery will be the soonest possible.
Collapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Médecins Sans Frontières Aug 17, 2007

This might be a good site to start with:

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org
(Select other sites bottom right)

Press release on Peru
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/pr/2007/08-16-2007.cfm

This organization is well-known for it
... See more
This might be a good site to start with:

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org
(Select other sites bottom right)

Press release on Peru
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/pr/2007/08-16-2007.cfm

This organization is well-known for its fast help and impressing coordination.

Regards
Erik Hansson
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some more info Aug 17, 2007

For:

The US: http://www.redcross.org/news/ds/profiles/disaster_profile_PeruEarthquake.html

Canada: http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=000005&tid=003

Account opened c/o the General Consultate of Peru (Toronto
... See more
For:

The US: http://www.redcross.org/news/ds/profiles/disaster_profile_PeruEarthquake.html

Canada: http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=000005&tid=003

Account opened c/o the General Consultate of Peru (Toronto), Royal Bank of Canada: Account # 06702 113 – 4329 (Ref.: Sismo Perú 2007)

Spain: La Caixa (Barcelona): 2100-0479-21-0200048852
Information: [email protected]
Tel.: 93 265 07 20, 678 66 89 34 and 608 59 3656
Story at: http://www.europapress.es/noticiasocial.aspx?cod=20070817193042&ch=313
(Starting Monday 20 Aug., La Caixa waives all commissions on remittances to Peru)

The Federal Trade Commission advises donors to directly address international aid organizations with whom they have satisfactorily collaborated in the past.

For the time being, Civil Defence is requesting blood, medicine and field shelter from those who are in a position to donate these.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:37
Spanish
+ ...
More Information Aug 17, 2007

Thank you Irina for creating this post.

Taken from the mos important Peruvian newspaper:

To donate money:

[In Peru]
- Bank accounts have been set up to receive monetary donations:

Banco de Crédito: 193-19999998-0-15 (soles) y 193-19999999-1-16 (dólares).

BBVA Banco Continental: 0011-0444-4444444444 (soles), 0011-0444-4444444446 (dólares), 0011-0444-4444444447 (euros).

Scotiabank: 0005074657 (soles), 0003022500 (dólares).

Interbank: 200-0000001119 (soles), 200-0000001118 (dólares).

- In the United States you can make a donation into the Interbank accounts (Dollars: 200-0000001118 / Soles: 200-0000001119) with the following money transfer agencies: Xoom, Bancomercio, Uno, Dolex, BTS, Viamericas, Ria, Transfast, Pronto Envíos, Vigo, Bob Travel, Girosol, MFIC, Intertransfers and Mateo Express. Interbank has stated that these agencies will not apply commission fees for the transfers. For more information call free at 1-866-352-7378.

- En México, el BBVA Banco Continental ha abierto la siguiente cuenta bancaria para donaciones: Cuenta APOYAME-3(042769263-3) / Fundación BBVA Bancomer a.c.

- En Colombia, el BBVA Banco Continental ha abierto la siguiente cuenta bancaria: Cuenta de ahorros No. 073 213 969 / BBVA Colombia.

- En España, el Centro Peruano en Barcelona ha abierto la siguiente cuenta del banco La Caixa (Barcelona): 2100-0479-21-0200048852. Cualquier información, escribir al correo electrónico [email protected] o llamar a los teléfonos 93 265 07 20, 678 66 89 34 y 608 59 3656.

- In Canada, Defensa Civil (Civil Defense) has informed that money can be donated into the Peruvian General Consulate in Toronto, Sismo Perú 2007 Account, # 06702 113 - 4329 del Royal Bank of Canada (RBC).

- Rest of the World: The Spanish office of Caritas has set up on their website a space to make online donations: Visit this site to make your donation, and if you wish, get more information:

Taken from El Comercio Perú

[Edited at 2007-08-17 23:06]

Irina Nesterenko
Irina Nesterenko  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 18, 2007

Thank you so much to all who have supported me in this.
I also understand those who do not relate themselves to this. It's actually the first time I personally feel this way about what's going on outside my own country, I have to admit.. I guess one's got to grow into realizing that we are part of the world and all related. as J.Donne said: never ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for you.
If we all could do just a little bit - it'd make a difference.
Thank you so much.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for all your help! Aug 19, 2007

As a Peruvian, I feel so glad when people, especially from far away, want to help.

Let me tell you my personal experience: I live in Lima, the capital, 170 kilometers away from the epicenter. The strongest earthquake that was felt in Lima and that actually destroyed things happened in 1974, so for many people like me, younger than 33, this was a horrible experience. My sister and a friend came downstairs to the ground floor; it was her birthday and we were about to sing 'Happy Birt
... See more
As a Peruvian, I feel so glad when people, especially from far away, want to help.

Let me tell you my personal experience: I live in Lima, the capital, 170 kilometers away from the epicenter. The strongest earthquake that was felt in Lima and that actually destroyed things happened in 1974, so for many people like me, younger than 33, this was a horrible experience. My sister and a friend came downstairs to the ground floor; it was her birthday and we were about to sing 'Happy Birthday' and eat a piece of cake. At that moment, I was at home with all my family, when the earthquake started. We stood under what we consider the safest places in the house. My little daugther of 4 was afraid and didn't know what to do so she covered her ears. It was so loooooooong! For almost 2 minutes (those who are accustomed to these movements in their cities know that 15 seconds is already a lot), the earth shook. Everybody in silence, the movement was intense from beginning to end; we couldn't know if it would stop or if it would turn stronger and things/walls were going to fall and break. The lights went off for some seconds but then came back again. Finally, it ended. People did not die in Lima, houses or buildings did not collapsed, but we were sure that what we felt here, had destroyed many things and killed people somewhere else in the country. And then we saw it in the news, the cities south of Lima were destroyed.

It's so sad to see the news every day!! All the people who died and are injured! Poor them! Personally I was touched, as two relatives of a friend of my mother who were in the city of Pisco died when a wall fell on them. I have been in all those cities many times, in a hotel close to the beach that is almost gone now, strolled along a beautiful beachwalk which is now seriously damaged and full of algae, etc. Sad to see all that destruction.

Fortunately, people are always generous; I also did my donation today. Also rescuers from all countries came to see if they can still find people alive. As somebody mentioned, there are many organisms donating money, food and clothes. I am sure the Peruvian Embassy in your country is collecting things; other large worldwide-known institutions such as the UN, USAID, UNICEF, Red Cross, European Union, as well as churches and humanitarian NGOs are sending help. There is always an institution close to you if you wish to help. We know that thanks to everyone, the cities will be rebuilt and this will give hope to the people who suffered the most.

Thanks for all the solidarity and your thoughts. It was really nice to receive e-mails from clients who were concerned of how my family and I were.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Earthquake in Peru. To: Everybody

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »