https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/124318-why_cant_uk_universities_and_companies_issue_invoices_to_their_students.html

Why can't UK universities and companies issue invoices to their students?
Thread poster: Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
France
Local time: 23:46
English to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2009

Hello,

In 2008, I attended a distance course with a University in the UK. I needed an invoice to include this course into my professional expenses but when I asked them to send me an invoice, they replied: "I regret the University doesn't issue invoices for short courses."

I am a bit amazed because I paid for this course and when you pay for something, you can expect to get an invoice... This attitude doesn't seem very professional to me.
This course cost me seve
... See more
Hello,

In 2008, I attended a distance course with a University in the UK. I needed an invoice to include this course into my professional expenses but when I asked them to send me an invoice, they replied: "I regret the University doesn't issue invoices for short courses."

I am a bit amazed because I paid for this course and when you pay for something, you can expect to get an invoice... This attitude doesn't seem very professional to me.
This course cost me several hundred pounds and it would be very annoying if I was not able to include this expense into my professional training expenses.

The same happened with a British company which sent me some reference materials with no invoice... In France, getting an invoice is not such a problem!

Do translators and interpreters in the UK often encounter the same problem?
Do you know WHY companies and Universities in the UK don't want to send invoices?

Thanks!
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:46
French to English
+ ...
Receipt Jan 6, 2009

Perhaps you might have better results if you ask for a receipt, which is the standard name in the UK for a document that provides proof that you have paid for something.

They could issue you with an invoice, but how could you show that you actually paid it?

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Invoice or receipt? Jan 6, 2009

It would surprise me if they had not already sent you something asking to be paid... and that would be the invoice. By the way, I rarely receive an invoice for most things I purchase (e.g., in a supermarket).

I also cannot imagine that they would not send you a receipt for the money they received if you already paid, whereby even that is probably superfluous if you transferred the money via your bank account, as that would usually provide enough proof that you have paid.

Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Receipt Jan 6, 2009

Great, thanks for your help Angela and Derek!

I asked them for a receipt and it worked. The problem is that VAT (if there is any) won't be broken down but at they are abroad, it should be ok for my accountant.

I am used to asking for invoices instead of receipts because of the VAT problem. Some shops don't break down VAT ontheir receipts and some do. With invoices, I am sure that the VAT amount is separated from the amount exclusive of VAT.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:46
French to English
+ ...
VAT receipt Jan 6, 2009

In the UK a 'VAT receipt' is a separate concept, and you should be asking for one of those if you need a VAT breakdown - as you say, though, you don't.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Encountered the same problem Jan 7, 2009

I'm studying a degree via distance learning and I've experienced the same problem. All they can provide me with is a "formal receipt" but they have managed to add my VAT number this time, a previous distance-learning course provider couldn't so I'm just hoping that I won't get an inspection. It is a problem when the British company simply refuses to add your tax number (no can do), even handwritten.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
German to English
Probably no VAT Jan 7, 2009

Pro-Trans wrote:
I asked them for a receipt and it worked. The problem is that VAT (if there is any) won't be broken down but at they are abroad, it should be ok for my accountant.

Course fees at many (possibly most) public educational establishments in the UK are VAT-exempt, so the universities don't generally charge VAT on things like CPD courses. But there will always be exceptions, I suppose.

Robin

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not subject to VAT Jan 9, 2009

No, uni courses are not subject to VAT but I can reduce my income tax base by their price as long as the document of proof meets national accounting requirements which may be the case if the institution can include my tax number. But we shouldn't be put in this predicament.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't UK universities and companies issue invoices to their students?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »