https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/96313-how_2_charge_for_add_copy_localization.html

How 2 charge for add copy/localization?
Thread poster: Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 6, 2008

Hi All,

I've been translating marketing brochures for several years, and always got paid at my normal rate - no big deal for me, as I really enjoy the extra fight it sometimes puts up

Now, however, I may be in a position to translate, adapte, localize, adverstisments, in brochures or not. It's not just "sweet talking" anymore, it goes into taking double (or multiple) senses wording, and conveying that into
... See more
Hi All,

I've been translating marketing brochures for several years, and always got paid at my normal rate - no big deal for me, as I really enjoy the extra fight it sometimes puts up

Now, however, I may be in a position to translate, adapte, localize, adverstisments, in brochures or not. It's not just "sweet talking" anymore, it goes into taking double (or multiple) senses wording, and conveying that into my mother language. In a way, I'll be doing similar work to copywriter, no?

Expecting to have by now explained what I have in mind.... How do guys normally charge for this kind of work?

Sugestions, please?

TIA,
Jose
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:43
French to English
+ ...
Copywriting charged by the hour Feb 6, 2008

Beyond translating, copywriting requires extra steps in the process.

1) Create a briefing based on your analysis of their communication strategy and compare it with the strategy set up by the company. This includes the message they wish to express and the target group. Also, this includes whether or not the target group changes in the new language.

2) Brainstorm on different approaches to recreate this in the new language

3) Prepare some examples to submit
... See more
Beyond translating, copywriting requires extra steps in the process.

1) Create a briefing based on your analysis of their communication strategy and compare it with the strategy set up by the company. This includes the message they wish to express and the target group. Also, this includes whether or not the target group changes in the new language.

2) Brainstorm on different approaches to recreate this in the new language

3) Prepare some examples to submit to client for approval on approach, tone, message, etc. and its coherence with the briefing.

4) After client approval, continue writing the rest.

Your creative skills are used here and that cannot be charged by word. Sometimes you can write a brochure in an hour, sometimes you can agonize over a slogan for 4 hours.

The more you understand their strategy, the better the copy since it will correspond more to their chosen line of attack and their expected sales results.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More than I'd expect... Feb 6, 2008

Thanks a lot for your insightfull answer N.M.!

Best,
Jose

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How 2 charge for add copy/localization?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »