https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/19112-german_democratic_republic_is_still_in_existence.html

Off topic: German Democratic Republic is still in existence?
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 7, 2004

If you go to this page, you will get that impression. See:http://www.sabon.org/hymnen/
One of the headings:
"Republikgeburtstag 1999
50 Jahre DDR – 50 Jahre Frieden"

There is however this line given at the end:
"P.S. Wer diese Seite für bare Münze (Mark der DDR) nimmt, ist selber schuld!"

I am reminded of an English novel by Richard (?) Harris, in which history extrapolated from the German victory was described. The action took place in 1963.
... See more
If you go to this page, you will get that impression. See:http://www.sabon.org/hymnen/
One of the headings:
"Republikgeburtstag 1999
50 Jahre DDR – 50 Jahre Frieden"

There is however this line given at the end:
"P.S. Wer diese Seite für bare Münze (Mark der DDR) nimmt, ist selber schuld!"

I am reminded of an English novel by Richard (?) Harris, in which history extrapolated from the German victory was described. The action took place in 1963. The Nazis were in power, Stalin and Churchill were in the underground resistance and so on. A well-written detective story.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:18
English to German
+ ...
Not really... Mar 7, 2004

...although one might get that impression, given the recent spate of "Ostalgie", what with TV shows full of reminiscences. Of course, "Goodbye Lenin" (the movie) did its part, too...

I am reminded of an English novel by Richard (?) Harris, in which history extrapolated from the German victory was described. The action took place in 1963. The Nazis were in power, Stalin and Churchill were in the underground resistance and so on. A well-written detective story.

Quite. The author is Robert Harris (Richard Harris was the late actor whose last role was Professor Dumbledore in the first two "Harry Potter´" films). Have you read the other books by Harris? Enigma and Archangel are both must-reads (well, IMHO...), and Pompeii is already sitting on my shelves...

Cheers, Ralf

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Robert Harris of course Mar 7, 2004

Thanks Ralf, for giving me the correct name. This Robert Harris's book, which I quoted but whose title I am not able to give here, haunted me a lot. Especially the ending, where the protagonist is coming across the news of the Jewish family that was wiped out. Though it was only an imagination, I had gooseflesh on contemplating what could very well have happened, but for the Grace of God.
And Richard Harris was delightful as Professor Dumbledore. I saw the movie deliberately in the Tamil
... See more
Thanks Ralf, for giving me the correct name. This Robert Harris's book, which I quoted but whose title I am not able to give here, haunted me a lot. Especially the ending, where the protagonist is coming across the news of the Jewish family that was wiped out. Though it was only an imagination, I had gooseflesh on contemplating what could very well have happened, but for the Grace of God.
And Richard Harris was delightful as Professor Dumbledore. I saw the movie deliberately in the Tamil dubbed version and was delighted with the translation into my mother tongue. I enjoyed reading the French and German versions of this series.
Thanks and regards,
N.Raghavan

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Quite. The author is Robert Harris (Richard Harris was the late actor whose last role was Professor Dumbledore in the first two "Harry Potter´" films). Have you read the other books by Harris? Enigma and Archangel are both must-reads (well, IMHO...), and Pompeii is already sitting on my shelves...
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fatherland Mar 7, 2004

Hi Narasimhan,
Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Thanks Ralf, for giving me the correct name. This Robert Harris's book, which I quoted but whose title I am not able to give here, haunted me a lot.

It's called Fatherland.

Especially the ending, where the protagonist is coming across the news of the Jewish family that was wiped out. Though it was only an imagination, I had gooseflesh on contemplating what could very well have happened, but for the Grace of God.

You have echoed my feelings when I read it...

Best, Ralf

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Yep, Fatherland Mar 7, 2004

I read in on the train to Germany, carefully hiding the cover
The Polish version is called 'Vaterland' (yes, yes) and has a swastika on the cover...

The book plays in 1964, and I'd definitely recommend it for a sleepless night.

[Edited at 2004-03-07 13:48]

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are other books Mar 7, 2004

There are several books about "what if" (I think it's called an "uchronia")

There is "SS-GB" (you can guess what it stands for). A detective story in an occupied Great Britain, with background stories about the holocaust and the atomic bomb.

There is also "The Burning Mountain". An uchronia about what would have happened if the atomic bomb never was used and the plans for an allied landing in Japan were carried out.
... See more
There are several books about "what if" (I think it's called an "uchronia")

There is "SS-GB" (you can guess what it stands for). A detective story in an occupied Great Britain, with background stories about the holocaust and the atomic bomb.

There is also "The Burning Mountain". An uchronia about what would have happened if the atomic bomb never was used and the plans for an allied landing in Japan were carried out.

If you want this kind of stories, try http://www.uchronia.net/ you won't get bored!

[Edited at 2004-03-07 15:46]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Trousers of time Mar 7, 2004

Terry Pratchett, the creator of the Disc world, uses the term "Trousers of time". In one of his books dealing with time travel, a few boys living in the England of the nineties in a village travel back in time to the night when their village was about to be bombed out of existence. The author explains in a cogent manner that both the destruction and the non-destruction were equal possibilities and both happened, whereby the events took entirely different courses, as if in a trouser with two legs... See more
Terry Pratchett, the creator of the Disc world, uses the term "Trousers of time". In one of his books dealing with time travel, a few boys living in the England of the nineties in a village travel back in time to the night when their village was about to be bombed out of existence. The author explains in a cogent manner that both the destruction and the non-destruction were equal possibilities and both happened, whereby the events took entirely different courses, as if in a trouser with two legs. In this manner there are innumerable universes and in one of them Germany might have won the second world war.
This theme of alternate universes has been delightfully handled by the SF author Robert Heinlein. In this book the poor hero is shuttled from one universe to another and to his indignation sees that whatever money he earned in one becomes useless in another.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
And the master of them all Mar 7, 2004

In my opinion is 'Ubik' by Philip K. Dick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German Democratic Republic is still in existence?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »