Thread poster: smorales30
smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2007

Hi everyone,

I am going to Vienna for a couple of days and I would appreciate if locals or people who know the city can give me some advice on what I cannot miss! Thank you in advance,

Silvia

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:55
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
The Kunsthistorisches Museum Sep 8, 2007

Their Giordano, Raphaels, and Murillo alone are worth it, IMO. But there is a lot of stuff that you can see in Vienna, so I would personally recommend getting a small guide and figuring out what you are interested in. Fortunately enough, the historic center is pretty small, so it doesn't take forever to get from one place to the other...

Curiously enough, Montezuma II's headdress (well, it is reputed to be his) is also in Vienna, at the Volkerkundemuseum.

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
Local time: 17:55
German to English
+ ...
Schoneberg palace/Stefansdom Sep 8, 2007

you should go to Schoneberg palace and sit at the cafe at the top of the hill. i was there when Vienna was covered in snow. Obviously go into the Stefansdom right in the heart of the city. There is also the famous Hundertwasserhaus.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Danube Tower Sep 8, 2007

There are so many places. Don't miss the view from top of the Danube Tower.

[Edited at 2007-09-08 13:54]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
English to Italian
my tips Sep 8, 2007

Don't miss the Schoenbrunn Castle, including the Gloriette (it's quite a walk but worth it), visit the Stephansdom (go up to the top if you can), the wonderful imperial treasure in the Hofburg Palace, walk along the pedestrian Kaertner Strasse for some shopping, see the Klimt collection at the Belvedere Museum, the wonderful art masterpieces at the Kunsthistorischesmuseum and, off the beaten path, go to see the Hundertwasserhaus if you want to see some crazy architecture (looks like Gaudi's styl... See more
Don't miss the Schoenbrunn Castle, including the Gloriette (it's quite a walk but worth it), visit the Stephansdom (go up to the top if you can), the wonderful imperial treasure in the Hofburg Palace, walk along the pedestrian Kaertner Strasse for some shopping, see the Klimt collection at the Belvedere Museum, the wonderful art masterpieces at the Kunsthistorischesmuseum and, off the beaten path, go to see the Hundertwasserhaus if you want to see some crazy architecture (looks like Gaudi's style).

If you can, spend the evening in some tavern in the Grinzing quarter, eating Wienerschnitzel, sipping spritz wine and listening to Viennese operettas....

Don't miss a piece of Linzertorte, the Sacher and the Apfelstruedel).
Collapse

smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 8, 2007

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Miomira Brankovic
Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Useful info on the web Sep 9, 2007

I am also planning a trip to Vienna next month (after 20+ years!) and have been compiling information for some time to make the most of the short stay, as this will be primarily a business trip.
You can find many useful and practical information at the official Vienna tourist site http://info.wien.at/ (also in English, Spanish and many other languages). Pay attention to the Vienna card information. For the pri
... See more
I am also planning a trip to Vienna next month (after 20+ years!) and have been compiling information for some time to make the most of the short stay, as this will be primarily a business trip.
You can find many useful and practical information at the official Vienna tourist site http://info.wien.at/ (also in English, Spanish and many other languages). Pay attention to the Vienna card information. For the price of 18.50 EUR you get unlimited travel by underground, bus and tram for 72 hours plus discounts at 210 museums and sights, theaters, concerts, shops, restaurants, cafés and Heurigen (wine taverns)... valid on day of issue and the following 3 days.
At http://www.frommers.com/destinations/vienna/ you have a wealth of information about the city. Among other things, it offers a choice of three walking tours and excellent suggestions for sightseeing itineraries if you have 1, 2, 3, 4 or more days at your disposal (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/vienna/0068010007.html).
Enjoy your trip and by all means take back some Mozartkugeln.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Must-see in Vienna

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »